Assembly kills bill to limit out-of-state students

Out-of-state applicants to the University can breathe a sigh of relief, but maybe not for long.

House bill 2506, which called for limiting the percentage of out-of-state students in Virginia's four-year public colleges to 25 percent, was killed in the House Education Committee last week.

In response, one of the bill's sponsors, John Reid (R-Richmond), proposed and received approval Tuesday for HJ 675, a House resolution to create a commission to review issues under consideration in the original bill.

The Joint Legislative Audit and Review Commission will look at current enrollment practices and tuition rates of Virginia's public colleges.

Delegate Dave Albo (R-Springfield) said the resolution aims to conduct further study on the issue and possibly provide solutions to unanswered questions.

Del. Allen Dudley (R-Rocky Mount) and Del. James O'Brien (R-Clifton) co-sponsored the bill with Reid, in a move that had the possibility to change drastically the student population of several Virginia public institutions of higher education.

The first-year class at the University consists of 33 percent out-of-state students, and generally, the University aims for a 35-65 ratio.

But Dudley said many qualified in-state students are denied admission to make room for the 35 percent out-of-state population.

"There are young, bright people from Virginia high schools who have done well scholastically and have good SAT scores but cannot be admitted into Virginia's universities," Dudley said. "Part of the reason may be because of the out-of-state admittance ratio."

The out-of-state population at the University is important, and reducing the proportion would greatly change the institution, Dean of Admissions John A. Blackburn said.

"The quality and diversity of out-of-state students enriches the academic and social experience for all students and faculty," Blackburn said.

Out-of-state students also help the institution financially. Their tuition is more than twice as high as in-state students. This raises the issue that if more in-state students gain admission, University funds will have to come from other sources, Albo said.

This could possibly include raising in-state tuition, he added.

The review commission will decide on legislative recommendations, and the bill could become an issue again in the next year if delegates decide to submit another bill.

O'Brien and Reid could not be reached for comment.