Calm postgame reaction proves team maturity

It was all eerily reminiscent of the year before. The Virginia men's basketball team had just completed an upset of a top-ranked Maryland team in front of a raucous crowd at University Hall. But this year, the Cavs and their fans reacted like they belonged.

Last year, the scene at U-Hall was pandemonium. The crowd rushed the court and nearly trampled Maryland forward Tahj Holden. As the celebration continued, Virginia coach Pete Gillen and his players grabbed a microphone and stood on the scorers' table to address the Senior Day crowd.

This year was different. After the No. 11 Cavaliers closed out a surprisingly easy 99-78 victory over the No. 9 Terrapins, the crowd stayed in its seats. No one rushed the court, and no speeches were given. Gillen and company respectfully shook hands with the Maryland bench and calmly went on their way.

"We're a different team than last year," sophomore Roger Mason Jr. said. "We feel like we're an elite team. As good as Maryland is, there's no celebration necessary."

Related Links
  • Cavalier

Daily coverage of Virginia men

• Comments