Residence Life selects co-chairs

When the 2001-2002 Senior Staff of the Residence Staff Program meets tonight for the first time, it will begin its spring training planning under the leadership of two newly elected Residence Staff co-chairs.

Third-year College students Lillian Lacy and Michael Dunn will lead the Residence Staff members as they oversee the everyday lives of over 6,000 University student residents next year.

The co-chairs work with the Residence Life deans, the area coordinators and the program coordinators in developing the Resident Staff Program.

"I'm very excited and grateful for the chance to devote so much of my time to an organization I care so much about," Dunn said.

Sarah Chewning, fourth-year College student and current co-chair, said competition for the co-chair positions was keen this year, although she said she could not disclose the exact number of applicants for the two spots.

The promotion process for the co-chair positions involved a rigorous application procedure and multiple interviews with officials from the Residence Life Office, deans from the Office of the Dean of Students, and several students who are Resident Staff members.

"I am very confident in both Michael and Lillian's abilities," said Katherine Thomas, fourth-year College student and current co-chair. "Michael is an excellent listener who's very good at creating a sense of team. He's created a phenomenal staff in Page."

"Lillian is extremely professional," Thomas said. "She has a deep love of the program and is very good at making sure people are being heard and supported from her residents to her staff to the people around her."

Chewning agreed with Thomas, noting the energy the two new co-chairs have already demonstrated for the coming year.

Talking to Lacy and Dunn "and watching them start preparing to lead the staff has been inspiring and enjoyable," Chewning said. "They both bring many strengths to the program."

Dunn and Lacy bring extensive experience to the co-chair position, both serving as resident assistants their second year and as senior residents for their respective houses this year. Thomas said this experience will ensure effective leadership in their new roles.

"You never know what you're going to be facing" as co-chairs, Thomas said. "Whatever they face they'll rise to the challenge."

Thomas noted that a major adjustment for the job arrives in "adopting to the next level - we supervise supervisors who supervise RAs who supervise residents," she said.

First-year College student Whitt Holladay, who lives in Lefevre House where Lacy is the Senior Resident, said he is glad Lacy got the job.

"Lillian is clearly on top of all her stuff. She's great because she is genuinely courteous and really cares" about her residents, Holladay said.

Lacy said she looks forward to facing the many challenges that come with the co-chair position. She said that, together with Dunn, she plans to continue creating a safe living and learning environment for on-grounds students by providing the resources, support and dedication residents want and deserve.

Dunn said that next year he may face the issue of having opposite sex RAs on first-year floors.

"We were really impressed by how well the women have worked out this year on guys' halls. It is an option we would consider again," Dunn said.