Council releases CIO fund decisions for 2001-2002 year

Student Council's Appropriations Committee allocated an unusually high $572,484.00 to 160 Contracted Independent Organizations for the student activity fee appropriations.

Council received requests from 170 student groups, which totaled $788,650.98. After Council reviewed the requests, the corrected total amounted to $656,117.75.

"Allocation was a lot higher than it has been in the past," Vice President of Organizations Kelly Harris said.

Council distributed the SAF allocation letters to the CIOs on Friday, March 30.

The Virginia Polo Team received the most funds with $19,936.

Travel costs contribute to the high funding of club sports. Publications that request funding hold the next highest bracket because of printing costs, Harris said.

Council notified the CIOs of their allocation and gave them instructions for appeal.

Every year, CIOs receive money from the SAF fund. Every student at the University pays a $39 fee that contributes to the SAF fund.

Council can deny CIOs requested funds for two different reasons. The groups are either defunded or are given no funds.

Defunded groups are those that do not show up to the mandatory first meeting or fail to attend required appropriations hearings, Harris said.

When Council determines that a CIO's submitted request does not fully comply with BOV and Council guidelines, the organization receives no funds, Harris said.

Groups submit a budget for a requested amount to Council. The appropriations committee then reviews the budget and corrects it according to Board of Visitors and Council guidelines.

"Once everything is looked at the request becomes null and void because there is stuff that we can not fund," Harris said.

Blue Notes, a coed jazz a cappella group, received zero allocation through the process.

"We are intending to appeal," third-year Blue Notes President Hope Carlson said.

Carlson contributes the zero allocation to confusion between Council and Blue Notes.

Third-year College student Nick Jabbour, treasurer of the Orthodox Christian Fellowship, said he was confused about the corrected request amount.

"I am still fuzzy on how religious groups were handled," Jabbour said.

Political and religious groups were funded for non-political and non-religious activities.