A date with the Downtown Mall

In the 1970s, a proposal before the Charlottesville City Council to transform the downtown into a pedestrian mall caused division and disagreement among council members, business owners and locals.

But 25 years later, the proposed mall that almost failed is alive and flourishing.

On July 3, 2001, Charlottesville's Downtown Mall celebrated its 25th anniversary as well as its recent Pew Partnership Spotlight on Solutions Award.

The Downtown Mall is a location in Charlottesville serving to "bring a diverse community together," Del. Mitch Van Yahres (D-Charlottesville) said.

The Pew Partnership for Civic Change presented the Spotlight on Solutions Award to the City of Charlottesville for the Downtown Mall July 3.

The Pew Partnership seeks to identify and document strategies for improving communities and has worked in 49 communities nationwide, Pew Foundation Executive Director Suzanne Morris said.

"Charlottesville has proven that a city's downtown can still be effective and economically viable," Morris said. "The Downtown Mall is one of the premier examples in the country of a pedestrian mall that has been enormously successful."

The mall itself was an attempt by City Council to bring revitalization to the downtown, which in the 1970s was losing business.

"There was seldom a University student downtown prior to the mall," said Charles Barbour, who served as Charlottesville mayor at the time the pedestrian mall proposal was before City Council.

But controversy surrounded the proposal to create a pedestrian mall.

"Many [downtown] merchants were against it because they wanted cars to be able to park," Van Yahres said.

Van Yahres, another a former Charlottesville mayor, served on the City Council that voted to convert downtown Charlottesville into the Mall.

The decision to create the mall was in the hands of the five-member Charlottesville City Council.

An unexpected turn of events occurred when "someone raised a question as to a conflict of interest with certain council members," Van Yahres said. "Three members owned property on the mall or had investments there, so they could not vote."

Barbour and Van Yahres were left as the only two members eligible to cast votes.

Barbour advocated for constructing the mall.

"I thought it would save downtown," Barbour said.

Ultimately, "I was the controlling vote on the Downtown Mall," Van Yahres said.

Van Yahres and Harry O'Mansky, owner of the Young Men's Shop then located on Main Street, proceeded to visit five different pedestrian malls around the country in cities about the same size of Charlottesville.

"I did not made up my mind until the night of the vote," Van Yahres said. But after consideration, "I voted for it."

Today, many University students and faculty use the Downtown Mall for a variety of activities, such as attending concerts and movies, eating at restaurants and ice skating.

"My girlfriend and I love [the restaurant] Rapture," Honor Committee Chairman Thomas Hall said. "I also like Chaps Ice Cream."

Dean of Students Penny Rue said she visits the downtown mall every couple weeks.

"I love to go out to eat there, and I like the antique shops," she said. "I think its the best place in Charlottesville for people watching."

Inter-Fraternity Council President Josh Johnson and IFC Intramural Recreations Chairman Steve Kaplan said the Downtown Mall has a sophisticated feel, while the Corner area of the University is "more fratty."

"We have more rush events on the Corner, because it is closer and cheaper," Johnson said.

But "the Downtown Mall is a great place to take a date," Johnson said. "You can eat outside, order a bottle of wine, and then walk down the mall to a movie."

But University students are not the only community members who head to the Downtown Mall looking for a romantic evening.

"My wife and I have dates every Friday night, and we frequent the Downtown Mall," Van Yahres said.