Estes' lifelong Cavalier dream becomes reality

For Virginia football recruit Patrick Estes, it was a lifelong dream that could not wait. One month before the 2001-02 academic year begins on Aug. 29, Estes is already in Charlottesville, enrolled in summer school at the University and practicing with the football team.

"I can't be eager to come to Virginia, because I'm already here," said Estes, who packed his bags for Charlottesville just one week after graduating from Benedictine High School in Chesterfield. "It's the beginning to a new, exciting part of my life."

The All-Metro tight end wasted no time in deciding that he was going to play football for the Cavaliers. On the evening of June 19, 2000 - seven months before the beginning of the NCAA signing period - Estes made a special trip to Charlottesville from his home in Richmond to personally inform the Virginia coaching staff of his decision. He was the first player to commit to the Cavaliers for 2001 and was Benedictine High's first Division I-A recruit in over a decade.

While the early decision came as a surprise to schools and recruiting analysts of the outside world, Estes says that right from the start, he always knew he wanted to be a Cavalier. Because his father attended the University, he followed Virginia athletics through childhood and grew up a fan of the Cavaliers.

"I have dreamed of playing for the Cavaliers all my life," Estes said. "Virginia was where I've always wanted to go."

When former Virginia football coach George Welsh announced his retirement on Dec. 11, 2000, however, a stunned Estes opened up his options to other schools once again. He even lined up a visit to Ohio State.

But it didn't take long for Estes to find himself back where he started. He never made it to Columbus, and after meeting new coach Al Groh and his staff, Estes recommitted to the Cavaliers, this time for good.

"Even when I opened things up, I still felt that I would end up" at Virginia, Estes said.

Thankfully for the Cavaliers, Estes never changed his mind. At 6-foot-7 and 240 pounds, he runs his 40-yard dash in under 4.7 seconds and bench presses 315 pounds. As a senior at Benedictine, Estes caught 52 passes for 12 touchdowns and more than 1,200 yards. He also participated in the first-ever National High School All-Star Football Game, which was held in Dallas last winter.

Estes "is a rare combination of size, speed and strength," Benedictine coach Gene Smith said.

Most football recruiting analysts and services consider Estes as one of the top tight ends in the country. Borderwars.com and Rivals100.com ranked him third among tight ends nationally and Superprep named him an All-American. Prep Atlantic also rates Estes as one of Virginia's top five prospects overall.

Schools knew Estes was good, and the top-rated recruit received offers from over 30 schools. These included every major program up and down the East Coast and big-names like Florida State, Virginia Tech, Ohio State, Tennessee, Michigan, Penn State and Notre Dame.

But Estes, who describes himself as "a person always focused on the task at hand," had his own plans - plans that included Virginia, and none of the above. And while in Charlottesville, Estes plans to focus on just two things:

"Football and school. That's what takes up all my time. That's what I'm putting all my energy towards."

With the departure of tight end Billy Baber, Estes hopes to contribute early and get playing time as a freshman this year. He most likely will back up Chris Luzar at the start of the season, but hopes to work his way into the starting position by the end of the year.

Estes' larger goal, however, is to graduate in three years with an economics degree, just in case he chooses to enter the NFL draft after his junior year.

"It depends on the opinions of NFL scouts, coaches and myself," Estes said. "It depends on if I am ready or not."

But as of right now, that doesn't matter. What matters is that Estes is in Charlottesville, already living a dream.