Students air first U.Va. TV program

Students tuned in Friday evening for the premiere of WHOO TV, the University's first television program with a vision toward expanding available news media on Grounds.

A nearly full Newcomb Hall Theater showcased a two-part introduction to WHOO TV with a 25-minute news segment, "HOO Knows," and a 25-minute sketch comedy show, the "Grover Cleveland Dance Party."

Third-year College students Nick Holden and Sarah Jennings founded WHOO TV after both expressed a desire last year to explore broadcast news on Grounds.

"Even if it isn't like CNN or Dateline, it's important that we get it started," Jennings said.

Students responded very positively to the first production of WHOO TV.

"They're really embracing a new standard for news at the University and doing a good job doing it," said third-year College student Matt Pritchard, who attended the premiere.

The producers of WHOO TV use resources in the Digital Media Lab in Clemons Library for most of the production process.

"The equipment U.Va. has is amazing, but most people don't know about it," said Lisa Jensen, a third-year College student and producer of the sketch comedy show. "It's such a great way to learn about a new medium."

All of these media resources cost money, and WHOO TV plans to use the Digital Media Lab until it secures adequate funding to start acquiring its own equipment.

WHOO TV transmits its show to on-Grounds sets on Channel 14 with the aid of Information Technology and Communication. It broadcasts off Grounds on Channel 13 through a public access station located at the Charlottesville Albermarle Technical Education Center. The use of both venues is free of charge.

WHOO TV will air Friday evenings at 7 p.m.; however, it will not be in production next week.

Presently, WHOO TV has a $150 appropriation from the Office of the Vice President of Student Affairs to cover the cost of videotapes.

Despite the need for funds, Holden and Jennings are optimistic after becoming a Contracted Independent Organization. They plan to apply for Student Activitiy Fee funds when the appropiations process begins next semester.

"We hope that WHOO TV will be one of the main resources for students to get their information and entertainment," Holden said.

"Hoo Knows" producer, third-year College student Karen Frantz, said she wants "to teach people to produce a professional segment to gain a thorough knowledge of news writing and a broad scope of TV."

Jensen said WHOO TV is a great way to explore sketch comedy in her segment, "Grover Cleveland Dance Party."

English and Media Studies Prof. Johanna Drucker serves as faculty adviser to WHOO TV. Many media studies students are involved in WHOO TV, Holden said.