Don't race to blame administration

LOOKING at the pictures, I literally became sick to my stomach. I know racism and discrimination are alive and well in this country, but it is often easier to focus on the many positive aspects of race relations and glaze over the negatives. One quick glance at some photographs from Oct. 25 and 27 Halloween fraternity parties at Auburn University depicting white students in blackface and at least one dressed as a member of the Ku Klux Klan is enough to prove racism is not a myth.

While it is horrifying that these racist actions could take place at an institution of higher learning, we must remember where to place the blame. It is ludicrous to claim that the actions of a few speak for a community of over 22,000 diverse students. Blame the individual fraternities for allowing such behavior to occur at their festivities. Don't blame the entire university or the university's administration.

In the disturbing fraternity party photos in question, posted at www.tolerance.org, members of Auburn's chapter of Beta Theta Pi appear in blackface and Omega Psi Phi Greek letter shirts. The Beta brothers, mocking the oldest of four traditionally black fraternal organization chapters at Auburn, also sport afros and large gold jewelry and are seen flashing gang signs. Some members of Auburn's chapter of Omega Psi Phi discovered the photos on a local photography business Web site. Also included on the Web site are photos from Delta Sigma Phi's party which show brothers in costume in equally poor taste. One clearly staged photo displays one brother as a KKK member, one in blackface with a noose around his neck and one touting a shotgun, all standing proudly before a Confederate flag. After Omega Psi Phi brought its discovery to the attention of the administration, Auburn temporarily suspended both Beta Theta Pi and Delta Sigma Phi last Monday.

The suspension of these two fraternities is meant to allow time for a full investigation of the Halloween parties and subsequent events. Delta Sigma Phi voted last Monday to expel two of its members and temporarily suspend four others. Thursday the brothers at Auburn's Beta Theta Pi voted unanimously to suspend 13 of their members indefinitely. Additionally, Zac Gibbs, president of Auburn's Beta Theta Pi chapter, issued a formal apology for the actions of some of its members, promising to recruit a minority faculty advisor to assist the fraternity with diversity training. In the meantime, the fraternity has pledged to conduct 3,000 community service hours this year.

Both fraternities have taken responsibility for their members' actions to some degree. But one must question if anything would have been done had the fraternities not hired photographers for their parties, producing hard evidence of the improper behavior. The answer is probably no. Delta Sigma Phi's vote to expel and suspend several members came Nov. 5, with Beta Theta Pi's vote even later on Nov. 7. The fraternities only took action after their chapters were suspended temporarily and the issue entered the national spotlight.

Granted, not every member of the two fraternities is guilty of donning a racist costume. Even so, each member at the parties allowed their fellow fraternity brothers to get away with such disgraceful actions. By not speaking up ahead of time or even at the parties, the two fraternities proved their willingness to tolerate racism. No one forced the brothers to change costumes or leave either party.

We cannot say, though, that the university is to blame. Lloyd Jordan, national president of Omega Psi Phi, jumped to the conclusion that, "this is probably an indication of the character of the students allowed at Auburn. It is probably not the first action of this kind" ("Jim Crow on Fraternity Row," www.tolerance.org, Nov. 5). This is an ignorant generalization. Auburn's administration, much like the administration here and at most colleges, does not monitor or attend every social function. Jordan continues that, "it is very serious because they are not children and obviously believe they can do this in the university environment." A university's administration should assume that its students are responsible adults and hold them to the highest standards of conduct. This is precisely the philosophy Auburn's administration followed. When a small percentage of the population proved it could not be trusted, the administration stepped in.

Related Links

• Tolerance.org Web page
  • Auburn's administration should be applauded for its efforts to rectify this tense situation. The morning of Nov. 5 Omega Psi Phi brothers met with the university's administration. That same morning the vice president for student affairs conducted separate meetings with the school's president, his staff and student leaders. The decision to suspend both fraternities followed immediately. Later that evening a group of administrators met with the school's Black Student Union to explain the recent events.

The administration took immediate action when inappropriate behavior came to light. It should not be blamed for horrible actions that took place among comparatively few students. It is time instead to blame the two fraternities that condoned racist behavior. The national fraternity chapters need to send a clear message by making the temporary suspensions permanent.

(Stephanie Batten is a Cavalier Daily opinion editor. She can be reached at sbatten@cavalierdaily.com.)