'Hoos in Sync

Sorority girls in tight dance outfits, fraternity pledges in their most embarrassing moment and numerous University organizations all raising money for a great cause. It's Sigma Kappa sorority's annual philanthropy event this Wednesday from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. at O'Neill's Pub on the Corner.

"'Hoos in Sync is a philanthropy event put on for several years now by Sigma Kappa to benefit Alzheimer's research," said third-year College student Lauren MacIvor, the event's philanthropy chair. "Last year, we raised almost $1,500."

Although all University students and organizations are welcome to participate in the event, fraternity pledge classes seem to be the featured show.

"The pledge class typically makes up the skit themselves," said Wiley Norvell, a recent College graduate and a member of Pi Lambda Phi fraternity. "The goal is to make the most degrading skit possible. It's a fantastic philanthropy event because it's really creative, and it lets people raise money for a good cause by humiliating themselves in front of all their friends and complete strangers."

The performances vary in genre and change every year.

"People do everything from Michael Jackson to Backstreet Boys to Nirvana," MacIvor said.

This year's event also will feature drink specials, cash prizes, door prizes and University "celebrity" judges.

"There will be dollar draft beers [for those over 21] if you buy a $1-official Sigma Kappa 'Hoos in Sync cup," MacIvor explained. "And a lot of places have donated gift certificates and CDs as door prizes."

The top three acts this year also will walk out of O'Neill's with their winnings in hand. First place receives $100, second place $50 and third place $25.

Featured personalities from around Grounds will be judging this year's acts. Judges include Kristin Braggins, ISC President; Steve Bowman, the third-year class president; Kase Luzar, second-year tight end on the football team; Ben Rottenborn, third-year member of the Virginia Gentlemen and Lee Camp, Cavalier Daily columnist and local comedian.

Acts still can sign up, but they must move quickly. The deadline for registration is tonight at 5 p.m. The registration fee for non-sorority groups is $25, and admission at the door is $4.

"I hope everyone comes out for it," MacIvor said. "It's one of the most important things we do as a sorority"