Cavs must show heart on defense to make NCAAs

While the rest of us bake in the warm beachfront sun, enjoy European vacations and relax in familiar household surroundings, the men's basketball team will be fighting to extend their season deep into March, well after our Spring Break has ended. Although the Cavaliers pulled a stunning upset over No. 3 Duke on Feb. 28, Virginia still is perched precariously on the NCAA tournament bubble. Virginia will need a solid showing in this weekend's ACC tournament to solidify its status as a championship contender rather than a first-round pretender.

First of all, the Cavaliers cannot lose to N.C. State on Friday. If Virginia is serious about dancing in mid-March, it cannot allow any ACC team outside of Maryland to win all three meetings this season.

Not even the most casual Virginia fans will be surprised that the key to the Cavaliers' tournament success will be their defense. "Defense wins championships," is one of the principal tenants in any sports bible. Just look at the New England Patriots, the New York Yankees and the New Jersey Devils.

Unfortunately, ever since its loss to Maryland on Jan. 31, Virginia has played without the inspiration and intensity that became such a Gillen era trademark.

Against Florida State, the Cavaliers' defense could not even stop Nigel "Big Jelly" Dixon from blubbering his way into double figures. Another poor performance by Virginia made N.C. State point guard Anthony Grundy look like Jason Williams, allowing the senior to drop 44 points in the last two meetings. Sure, senior night brought out the best for one night against Duke, but the rest reared its ugly 112-point head against Maryland on Sunday.

Sure, the hometown crowd will favor the Wolfpack. N.C. State may be riding high after securing its first NCAA bid in 11 years. The Cavaliers may have enough talent to beat any team in the nation.

But winners don't make excuses.

Friday night, Virginia must D up or shut up.

Adam Hall must play his heart out like he did against the Blue Devils. Travis Watson, Elton Brown and Jason Clark need to clog up the middle and deny the Wolfpack an effective inside game. Keith Jenifer has to show that he is more than just a passer.

Grundy must not get off the ground. Julius Hodge cannot be a factor. Scooter Sherrill should not have another career night.

It's the first game of the rest of Virginia's season. Hopefully, the Cavalier team that started the year 9-0 will be there to play it.

If the Cavaliers do manage to win their first postseason game under Gillen, they undoubtedly will face a well-rested Maryland squad looking to turn its ACC regular season title into a tournament championship. Virginia cannot just lie down and wait for Maryland to win, however. Beating N.C. State guarantees the Cavaliers a 50-50 shot at making the NCAAs. But the Cavaliers still must compete with Maryland. They do not have to win two games, just make the second game a contest until at least late into the second half.

So be prepared for a Juan Dixon or Steve Blake shot to win the game. Expect Lonny Baxter to dominate underneath the basket. Just hope that it doesn't happen until well past the seven-minute mark of the second half.

A hard fought game against the ACC's No. 1 squad should be enough to avoid the NIT. The Cavaliers may not have the consistency to upset the Terrapins, but they will have to prove that they have the talent to contend with any team in the NCAA tournament.

Who knows? If the Cavaliers catch a break here and there, they may be playing for an automatic bid on Sunday.

What a way to kick off Spring Break.