Finding God at the University

AS I COMPOSE this, I feel the weight of its impact as my last chance to reach out in publication to communicate to my readers. My years writing for The Cavalier Daily brought anxiety, compassion, antagonism and growth. I want to thank my co-writers, and those that preceded me for spurring me on and continuing the public debate.

When I joined The Cavalier Daily opinion staff I saw it as an opportunity, if not to convince others of how I see things, at least to provoke some thought. I thought, what's the use in reading The Cavalier Daily, watching the news, or even living at U.Va. if I can't think critically about that experience and promote some kind of public discourse. During my second year, the excitement of being exposed to new ideas was not enough. I felt that I had to form some type of ideology by which I would live. In my third year, I became decisive and discovered the foundation of my actions.

Throughout my first couple years at the University I met tons of people, joined a fraternity (my dear friends) and established a community. I had kept hold of religious groups in my life and found a great group of Christian friends - but it remained only part of my life. As I sought after an ideology for my life, I realized that to my own chagrin, God had been faithful to me. From my first-year hallmate to my best girl friends and the guys in my Bible study, God had put people in my life to show me his love. More important than my friends, God kept calling my conduct and decisions to meet His standard. Though I often failed to reflect His glory and faithfulness to me, he still wishes to inhabit me and use me as a vessel to show His love to others.

In my third year, this faithfulness that God kept showing me provoked a response. I could not live as I had before, but had to share in as wide a forum to express that love as possible. I believe that God's faithfulness and presence was not only evident in my life, but his works were evident in the world. I think that you can look at world events, national politics and University issues to find God's plan. This is because all grand issues of debate affect us at the core of our beliefs and values, mine being in line with the very nature of God. I wanted to find and show God in every human struggle.

There are many people that work very hard and are my close friends that have encouraged and inspired my writing and ideas. First and foremost, I thank Jesus Christ for being the author of that love that lives inside me. At The Cavalier Daily my first editors Brandon Almond and Stephanie Batten were very kind and encouraging. Brian Cook, Jeff Eisenberg and the rest of The Cavalier Daily opinion staff have challenged me - I am grateful for that. I thank my parents for reading my work and supporting me. I thank my fraternity brothers for the bonds we've formed and the experiences we've shared. I thank Boots, Ben, Jon, Joel, Jeff, Justin and all my Bible study boys and housemates with whom I've shared many great moments of my life.

Most of all, I would encourage all people, of all races, religions and creeds to think about their lives and experiences and find a way to share what you discover. Only by challenging one another and investigating the things of this world will we be able to discover truth in all things. I hope everyone finds the truth and beauty I've discovered in my God and in my life.

(Matt West was a 2001-2002 opinion columnist.)