Mired in losing streak, Virginia takes on 'Pack

The Virginia men's soccer team hopes to rebound from their current four-game losing streak tomorrow night against N.C. State. The game will be played on Kl

ckner Field, and kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.

Virginia has lost their last four games, the most recent being against William & Mary on Wednesday night, 1-0 -- constituting the Cavaliers' longest losing streak since 1980. The Wednesday loss also is the first time Virginia has been shut out this season.

The Tribe scored early and didn't let go of the lead.

"I thought it was unlucky," senior defender and midfielder Jonathan Cole said. "I thought at the end of the day we did enough to win the game."

A high point of the game was goalkeeper David Comfort, who recorded six saves. Two of the saves were on Tribe breakaways that appeared to be sure goals.

The team, despite the recent losses, remains optimistic for future matches.

Virginia Coach George Gelnovatch says his team has "bottomed out," but hopes his players can return to their winning ways.

"It had to get worse before it's going to get better," Gelnovatch said.

"It's been an unlucky stretch for us," Cole said. "We're just going to push through it, and its going to get better."

N.C. State (2-5) is in a similar situation. They are 0-2 in ACC competition, just like Virginia. The Wolfpack lost a tight game to Clemson last Saturday night and hopes to rebound against the Cavaliers.

"They haven't won a whole lot of games," Gelnovatch said. "I think they're coming in here thinking they can probably kick us when we're down, but we'll see."

The team blames the recent losses on bad luck and missed opportunities.

"We've circled the wagons and are coming together," said Cole, who is fourth on the team in shots on goal percentage with .600. He also has one assist. A letterman in 2001, he had two game-winning goals last season.

The team is happy to be back in Charlottesville.

"I think being at home in the condition our team's in, we're going to come out and play as hard as we can," Cole said.

The team hopes to see continued offensive skill from junior forward Alecko Eskandarian, who was held scoreless Wednesday night. He leads the team with eight goals and one assist, resulting in 17 points.

Senior goalkeeper David Comfort has logged 25 saves this season and has only allowed 13 goals in seven games, an average of 1.86 goals allowed each game. Comfort's save percentage is .658.

If the leaders on the team play like they've proven they can in the past, Virginia believes they can return to their winning ways.

"We've hit rock bottom," Cole said. "There's no where else to go but up."

Virginia's matchup against N.C. State should be a good measurement of both team's prospects this season.