Eyeing a bowl bid, Cavs face Jackets

Two former NFL head coaches face off this Saturday as Al Groh's Cavaliers travel to Atlanta to face Chan Gailey's Georgia Tech. ABC will televise the game at 3:30 p.m.

Virginia (6-2, 4-1 ACC) currently enjoys a six-game winning streak. But history may prove perilous for the Cavaliers -- in 1990, Virginia won seven games in a row before losing to Georgia Tech, 41-38, and Virginia has not won seven in a row since. The matchup also is Georgia Tech's homecoming game, and the Yellow Jackets have won six homecoming games in a row.

Virginia and Georgia Tech (4-3, 1-3 ACC) have split their last two meetings. In 2000, Georgia Tech won in a 35-0 drubbing of the Cavaliers. But Virginia sought revenge last year, winning 39-38 after a hook-and-ladder play resulted in a game-winning touchdown with 22 seconds left in regulation.

Eleven of the past 19 contests have been decided by seven points or less, although such close margins of victory do not concern Groh.

"I think part of it might have to do with how systems match up on each other," he said. "In this case, you have a new operation at Georgia Tech and you have a new operation here, so whatever circumstances and matchups cause those types of games, I think we're starting all over again."

Junior quarterback Matt Schaub leads the new Virginia system. His impressive playmaking ability, with 1,721 passing yards on the season and 19 touchdowns with only five interceptions, has been a welcome surprise to the Virginia team.

Freshman tailback Wali Lundy leads the team in rushing with 458 yards. He has also caught 40 passes for 271 yards. Groh is pleased with the improved running game, which was rather lackluster at points in the season.

"Our tailbacks had 36 carries for 189 yards," he said in reference to the North Carolina game. "I think that's a pretty good number."

Defensively, senior linebacker Angelo Crowell continues to be a leader for the Cavaliers -- he has 77 tackles and two sacks. Against North Carolina, Crowell recorded seven tackles despite an injury.

"Here's a guy who did a marvelous job the other day," Groh said. "He played with two of the injuries that most players don't play with. He had two MCLs. He wanted to play in the game and help his team win, which he did."

Senior linebacker Merrill Robertson leads the team with 83 tackles, and he also has three sacks. Joining the two veterans at linebacker is freshman powerhouse Darryl Blackstock, who has eight sacks this season, tying the freshman record.

"The only agenda these players have is to win," Groh said.

Gaily acknowledges the spirited play of the linebackers and "how aggressively they flow and attack the line of scrimmage."

"Their defense is what I have been looking hardest at this week," he said.

Georgia Tech's starting lineup has been ravaged by injury. Leading rusher Tony Hollins and All-American defensive end Greg Gathers are both out for the season, and standout linebacker Keyaron Fox also is out with a sprained ankle.

But solid play from quarterback A.J. Suggs and ACC-leading receiver Kerry Watkins should keep the Yellow Jackets competitive.

The Cavaliers hope to continue their second-half surges and reign on Georgia Tech's homecoming parade. A Saturday win would indeed make Virginia bowl eligible and show the continuing improvement of the young Cavalier squad.