More aid for fighting AIDS

THE CLOSE of another semester has once again arrived. With the

lingering excitement of Thanksgiving on our minds, students are preparing for exams while simultaneously packing to enjoy that month-long break away from the University. As the year comes to a close, there is much to think of and reflect upon. However, there is another important date that has been overlooked in our stress and eagerness to finish out the fall semester: Sunday, December 1, 2002, World AIDS Day. The lack of concern for this day shows that many around the country -- especially University students -- have sadly grown callous and apathetic to such a significant international health issue.

World AIDS Day holds a special place in the history of the AIDS epidemic. Since 1988, the first day of December has been dedicated to bringing messages of compassion, hope, solidarity and understanding about AIDS to every country in the world. This day has received the support of the World Health Assembly, the United Nations system, and governments, communities and individuals around the world. Each year, it is the only international day of coordinated action against AIDS, but we in America have missed it. The demands of our holiday season have once again consumed our thoughts to the point where we have overlooked something like World AIDS Day.

Regardless of the numerous events and activities taking place during this season, the impact of World AIDS Day should not be lost in the holiday grind. Too often we forget the devastating affect AIDS has on all of our lives at least indirectly. The truth of the matter is that by the end of 2001 an estimated 40 million people were living with HIV. A further 5 million new infections are predicted by the end of 2002. Figures like these make it seem like AIDS is winning, and without recognition and action, it very well may.

The statistics are shocking, but Americans seem to have become desensitized to the disease because of the belief that a cure will be found and residual stereotypical stigmas about the virus concerning the race and sexual preference of those contracting the virus. This only adds to ignorance about AIDS. The seriousness of AIDS in our minds is much different from that of someone in Africa, a country plagued by this virus. AIDS is something that no one talks about any longer, except under the occasional context of safe sex. Our society has forgotten that AIDS is not one man's disease. Like it or not, AIDS is of such unprecedented size and scope that each day, over 11,000 people worldwide contract HIV, and for every minute that passes, one child dies of AIDS somewhere in the world.

Of course, timing plays a great role in recognition of this event. Though it is annual, World AIDS Day is not as easily remembered as Thanksgiving. The fact that this year's AIDS Day fell on the Sunday after Thanksgiving break and right before exams only made publicizing and spreading information even more difficult. Even still, the recognition of the day should have been more prominent not only for University students, but for the world in general.

Last year at this time, Nona Gaye, daughter of R&B singer Marvin Gaye, organized artists to cover her father's classic song "What's Going On?" in order to raise awareness about the international AIDS epidemic and garner funds to fight it. Unfortunately, a hit song cannot remind us every year about World AIDS Day and the implications it has. The observance of the day serves as a reminder of the crucial fight against AIDS, and the common bond of people determined to fight this virus and find a cure. By letting it pass as any other Sunday, we are missing a critical opportunity to show recognition and acquire knowledge about something that is affecting numerous families and individuals within our international community.

Though the day has passed, it is important for students to take time to truly think about how AIDS affects our world. More initiative must be taken by University students to increase awareness and information about AIDS this time next year. In the meantime, students can definitely take action in the fight against AIDS. One group, Promoting-HIV-Negativity, is doing just that. Each year, they bring the AIDS Memorial Quilt to the University -- today marks the first day of display. The group serves as a wonderful resource about AIDS for our University community, but the majority of students do not take advantage of the opportunities groups such as this provide, much less become actively involved. It is our duty as responsible students to consider taking up this cause. It does not have to be December for someone to raise funds or promote consideration of this virus.

Even with any complications surrounding knowledge of World AIDS day, there is no excuse for ignorance concerning AIDS. Above all, we must become educated and know the facts. The disease is out there, and you or someone very close to you may have it at this very moment without realizing it. Americans have become unconcerned about the environment AIDS has created. We are so far removed from the poverty and devastation that is often associated with the disease that we forget its impact. Still, while you read this column, someone died from AIDS. This alone should serve as more than enough reason to inspire enormous concern and action on our parts -- regardless of what day it is.

(Amey Adkins' column appears Tuesdays in The Cavalier Daily. She can be reached at aadkins@cavalierdaily.com.)