Committee selects 47 new Lawn residents

Forty-seven students received one of the University's highest honors yesterday -- an invitation to live on the Lawn for the 2003-2004 academic year.

The Lawn Selection Committee narrowed these 47 acceptances down from 245 applications.

Selected students received an e-mail yesterday and also will receive notification by mail. Students have until Feb. 21 to accept or decline the offer.

Committee Chair Jasmine Yoon said the group looks for "a combination of academic achievement, extracurricular activities and contribution to the University and community at large" in choosing the residents.

The Committee consists of a "mix of 15 students chosen from a lottery and 20 members representing various organizations around Grounds," Yoon said.

Third-year Commerce student Shweta Agarwal apparently matched the committee's criteria, receiving one of the 47 e-mails yesterday.

"I want to live on the Lawn because it seems like a great environment to live in," she said. "The community and activities there would provide me with an enjoyable fourth year."

Third-year Engineering student Andrew Breton also received his acceptance today. He participates in the Baha'i Association, the Academical Village People and the governing board of Brown College.

"I also look forward to living with the other members of the Lawn community," Breton said.

Not all students accept their invitations to live on the Lawn.

"There are usually two or three people per year who don't accept," Asst. Director of Accommodations Cole Spencer said. "We have a waiting list of 10 people in order of who to pick next if someone doesn't accept."

One reason a student might decline to accept one of the 47 regular Lawn room is if they are offered one of the seven endowed rooms. Endowed rooms include those for the Honor Committee and Kappa Sigma Fraternity.

"I applied to be a senior resident... I'm debating between the two and am not sure if I will accept it," third-year Engineering student Shan Wu said after receiving her acceptance notification.

Fourth-year College student Pat English, a current Lawn resident, reflected on his experience after living on the Lawn for over a semester.

"The people who enjoy living on the Lawn the most are those who truly try to get to know the people around them and build a community," English said.