Vandal smashes Irish glass exhibit outside art museum

"Stones in Place," an outdoor art exhibit at the University of Virginia Art Museum was vandalized this past weekend. The exhibit was part of a University-wide presentation called "Re-Imagining Ireland."

According to Museum Director Jill Hartz, the smallest of nine tempered glass pieces making up the exhibit was shattered either late Friday night or early Saturday morning.

Another of the glass pieces, which was unbroken and will be put back in place, was pulled out of the ground either late Saturday night or early Sunday morning.

Although several signs have been removed from the museum in the past, this is the first time any art has been vandalized, according to Hartz.

"I have no idea who would have done this," Hartz said. "The police have been notified."

Brian Kennedy, an artist from outside Belfast, Ireland, contributed the glass exhibit. He said he has a theory as to the cause of the damage.

"Given the location of the museum, I think the vandalism may be alcohol related," Kennedy said.

The display consists of nine pieces of glass, ranging from four to seven feet tall, which stick out of the ground in front of the museum, according to Kennedy.

"The glass pieces are an example of contemporary Irish art -- they are based on Standing Stones, which are representative of ancient Celtic culture," he said. "These stones are often in alignment, possibly with the sun or stars, but no one really knows for sure."

Hartz said the exhibit is a beautiful part of the Museum's presentation.

"It is mysterious and haunting," she said. "The alignment changes as you walk past."

The museum's portion of the overall University presentation, "Irish Art Today," features 16 artists who live and work in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. The exhibit is planned in conjunction with the Virginia Foundation for the Humanities' conference, Re-Imagining Ireland.

The President of Ireland will be one of more than 100 speakers who will be at the University to address changes that have taken place in Ireland over the past 10 years in conjunction with Ireland's rapid economic growth.

The conference will be held from May 7-10. The art exhibit will be on display through June 8.

This exhibit marks the first time Kennedy has displayed his art on the East Coast of the United States. His art has been shown on the West Coast, as well as in countries including Poland, Italy and France.

"I am disappointed in the vandalism -- I thought it wouldn't happen on such a nice campus," Kennedy said. "I would like to return to the University though. I'm not going to be put off by what happened -- I won't blame all of Charlottesville for one person's actions."