Things you should know about U.Va. but don't

I'VE WANTED to write this column ever since I started at the paper. Hoping to have acquired some profound fourth-year wisdom to espouse to my fellow Wahoos, I sadly am at a loss. But I think that has more to do with the little things that made my tenure at the University so memorable, as opposed to some life-shattering revelation. So, in lieu of my grand manifesto, I've compiled a list of the things that make me well up with tears when I think of leaving the place that has become my home.

Best Professor: George Overstreet. Ever since "Dead Poet's Society," the idea of the one professor that inspires you has become such a cliché. Only it's not. I've never had a professor that so embodies the quintessence of his profession, who genuinely loves and respects his students, who is passionate about his job, who is one of the most sincere and kindest people I've ever met. I cannot say enough good things about George, and saying "thank you" is completely inadequate for everything you've done.

Most Underrated People: The Staff of The Cavalier Daily. It's a thankless job. You spend what seems like an eternity under fluorescent lights in a cold basement; you don't get paid; people are heavy on criticism and short on praise. But you still love the job, and you keep showing up to the windowless basement. When I first joined the paper staff, I never thought I would have found family in such an unlikely place. It wasn't until my days at the paper were over and the day I got my job offer that I realized what an amazing experience The Cav Daily offered and how proud I am to say that I was part of such a phenomenal group of people.

Things Will Work Themselves Out If You Let Them. I've always hated that expression because I thought it was just a way of making someone feel better when he is disappointed. And then I met my best friend, and oh, man, did I get it. It's been a crazy ride, but I couldn't have asked for a better companion. As a great guy once told me, "You are my best friend, yes. You may not get the room on the Lawn or attention from toolish [girls], but you can take comfort in knowing that you're a good person and that your actions are just." I'll miss you like the dickens, T (in a Jesus-kind of way, of course).

Best Thing to Come Home to: U. Circle Girls. I'm clumsy and run into door jams, I throw occasional tantrums, I use the fireplace without first opening the flue, I watch reality TV, I introduced a fifth non-rent paying "roommate." Basically, I'm a mess, and even I wouldn't put up with my antics. You girls are so amazing, and you've been there for me despite aforementioned follies. Congratulations on a great three years at U.Va. Transfer students really are the best!

Proof the Comm School Isn't All-Bad: GDP. Like most College students, I was a McIntire-hater. But through a little course actioning and by virtue of luck, I spent my semester, in what is otherwise known as hell for finance students, working with four extraordinarily talented, genuine and brilliant students. Thank you so much for drafting the lowly College student. I cannot wait to hear the amazing things you do in the future.

Things You Never Thought You'd Miss, But Will. Orange Vs on University Avenue. Lighting of the Lawn. Cherry blossoms outside Newcomb Hall. Rotunda in the snow. Linking arms to sing "The Good Ole' Song." Hazel at the dinning hall. Orange and blue bowties. Thomas Jefferson statue lit up at night against the Rotunda. General acceptance of guys in pastels.

Best Reason to Never Take Yourself Too Seriously: Robert Frost, "In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

(Kadie Bye was a 2002 business editor and a 2001 associate news editor.)