To the people along the way

I NEVER wanted to attend the University of Virginia. It was probably my last choice of schools, but when all the acceptance and rejection letters were in and all the tuition numbers had been crunched, U.Va. was it. I had wanted to go to a small liberal arts school, so I wasn't looking forward to the big school mentality, the Greek-dominated social scene, the emphasis on sports. But I came, I saw, I got used to it; and now that it is time to leave, I am sadder than I ever thought I'd be.

This is, in large part, because of the people who put together this newspaper you're reading right now. I joined the staff as an opinion columnist in the spring of my first year. In the basement, I found amazing writers, colleagues and friends.

The 113th Managing Board consistently amazed me with their dedication and the grace they showed in dealing with what turned out to be a trying year. Thank you guys for being so consistently kind and committed to seeing the staff through difficult times.

The 114th Managing Board consistently amazes me with their beyond average height and stratospheric level of foxiness. You boys aren't doing a bad job as journalists either.

One of the best things about working for the paper was working with the smart and passionate kids of the opinion department. They and their words were what made the many hours in the basement worthwhile. Thank you guys for your guts, your diligence and your friendship. Soccermom (and my alternate bad-cop personality, The Deadline Nazi) will miss you.

Special thanks to my former associate editors. Laura, I think you might have made me laugh harder than anyone in the office (especially with your illustrations of a certain poncho-loving troll). Anthony, my little fire-starter: I really believe you have done a lot to raise the level of debate on this campus. Thank you for that, and for all your help and humor. Becky, you are the most dedicated opinion staffer I've seen in my four years here. Thank you for all your hard work, your friendship and for being my fellow literature dork.

As for non-Cav Daily people, thanks to my parents for their love and support and for always believing in me even when I didn't believe in myself.

To my girls: Amanda, Jeanne, Katie, Katy. I have often marveled that I was lucky enough for the Housing gods to place me in a suite with the four of you our first year. Thank you for four wonderful years of adventures and friendship. To Megan: You've become more than a roommate, you've become family. Thank you, for everything.

And finally, the best for last. Brian, my darling boy, co-editor, fellow associate, fake boyfriend, surrogate brother: I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to work with you. Thank you for putting up with my freak-outs and for keeping me sane and laughing through that crazy year. Thank you for Sports Night nights, Dean-love, God phones, EMPSU, giant bunnies, opinion sleepovers, Former Co-Editors' Big Day in the City, that pederast Hanrahan, defamation armadillos, yelling out of cars and the hate mail wall. I am so proud of you and so thankful for our friendship.

Four years of opinions, but now my words are spent, my bags are packed and my heart is full.

(Laura Sahramaa's was a 2002 opinion editor and a 2001 associate opinion editor.)