ACC stars go head-to-head in quarterback shootout

Rivers vs. Schaub. Schaub vs. Rivers. It won't get any better in the ACC this season. But as these two quarterbacks prepare to duel this Saturday, one question looms. It's a question that everyone wants answered, but no one will actually try to answer: Which one of these record-setting quarterbacks is better? When Virginia travels to take on N.C. State this Saturday, fans across the conference should finally get their answer.

Phillip Rivers owns every passing record in N.C. State history. He ranks sixth all-time in NCAA passing yardage and total offense. In the words of Wolfpack coach Chuck Amato, "He's an institution" down in Raleigh. But Rivers is 1-1 against Schaub, and has never thrown a touchdown pass against the Cavaliers. Saturday's game presents his last chance to do so.

Matt Schaub climbs the Virginia record books with each pass he completes. He leads the NCAA in completion percentage and he could finish the year as the all-time conference leader in that category. He's also the reigning ACC player of the year, slightly beating out Rivers last season after a stellar 23-for-27 performance against Maryland.

"Both of us have been in our systems long enough where we're comfortable enough to take over a drive or take control when we're in that zone," Rivers said.

The two quarterbacks share more than a knack for breaking passing records. As Virginia coach Al Groh put it, "they're more similar than dissimilar."

Rivers agrees.

"We're both big, tall quarterbacks that sit in the pocket," Rivers said. "Neither of us are going to beat you on the run. [But] I think both of us can scramble to make plays if we have to."

Given the similarities, one would figure Rivers would salivate at the opportunity to go one-on-one with his rival. But he's kept the party line so far.

"I don't look at it that way at all," Rivers said. "He's a great player. I look at it as a fun experience to play against a quarterback like that in the same conference."

The two quarterbacks met this past summer at the ACC football kickoff in Georgia.

"He's a good guy," Rivers said of Schaub. "We got to talk a little bit. He seemed very laid back and calm. It was good to meet him off the field."

Virginia cornerback Almondo Curry will be one of the many defensive backs trying to contain Rivers this weekend. This Monday, reporters peppered Curry with questions about Rivers.

"He's a great passer," Curry said. "He has great poise in the pocket. He's always looking for a receiver. You could be sacking him and he'll get the ball to the receiver in some type of way."

Not yet satisfied, reporters asked Curry to compare the two. The senior from Hampton, realizing what he was getting himself into, immediately gave his quarterback an unqualified endorsement.

"I wouldn't replace my quarterback for any other quarterback out there," Curry said. "He's a tremendous quarterback. Phillip, he's a good quarterback, but I'll take Schaub all the way."

Curry also got to spend time with Rivers at the ACC kickoff.

"He's a pretty cool guy," Curry said. "We didn't really talk about football. We talked about other things and just mingled together.

Curry went on to express his admiration of Rivers' ability to balance work and fun.

"I think he understands when its time to be serious and when its time to joke around," Curry said. "When I see him on the field, he displays that effort and ability that he has to be a good player."

Not surprisingly, Curry admires the same balance in Schaub.

"Oh yeah," he responded when asked if Schaub has the same cool demeanor as his Wolfpack counterpart. "He says his little jokes and he goes on. He's also a dedicated player that wants to win."

Two days before Virginia takes on N.C. State and no one will give an edge to either of these quarterbacks, on or off the field. Who's better? Fortunately, the answer is on its way.