New funds allocated to research initiative

In a show of commitment toward the improvement of University research, the Board of Visitors resolved Saturday to invest $60 million in a five-year scientific research enterprise which will include the recruitment of 10 new faculty teams.

Although the University ranks first among public institutions and 21st among all American universities, it is ranked 49th in total research and development expenditure.

The entire cost of the proposed research enterprise is estimated at $125.8 million.

Vice President for Research Ariel Gomez said he sees the initiative as a way to increase the quality of the University's products.

"We produce discovery and education and public service," Gomez said. "The way to achieve that is to make sure the best faculty and best students stay here and work in a very nurturing environment with proper facilities and [that] brings in new intellect and fresh capabilities."

Citing the fields of nanotechnology, informational sciences and molecular genetics, University Provost Gene Block said there currently are several remarkable frontiers for the University to explore.

"Scientific research plays an increasingly important role in the economy of the Commonwealth," Block said. "Given the demand for a highly trained workforce, there are tremendous opportunities in these areas."

Dubbed the "superstar program" by Don Pippin, Board Educational Policy Committee chair, the initiative would lure groups of distinguished scientists to research positions throughout the University, particularly in the College, the Medical School and the School of Engineering and Applied Science.

Each of the 10 groups would be lead by a National Academy caliber scientist or engineer who would then create and lead a four-person faculty team.

"The 10 teams will not only bring a tremendously high level of expertise, they also help us anchor the great faculty we have here," Gomez said.

In addition to the creation of these teams, the research initiative aims to establish competitive compensation packages for recruitment and to increase career support for current faculty.

Of the total $125.8 million project cost, $50 million would go toward the recruitment of 10 faculty teams, $60.8 million to the funding of Medical Research Building 6 and $15 million to an advanced research and technology facility.

Saturday, the Board allocated $20 million to be used immediately to complete funding for Medical Research Building 6. An additional $40 million, taken from institutional funds, will be invested in the enterprise from 2004 to 2009.

The Board has approved the enterprise in concept and a written five-year plan will be submitted for further approval by April 2004.

This plan will include checkpoints and measurements for how well the University is meeting its research objectives. Once the plan has been approved, a presidential committee will be formed to oversee recruitment.

Gomez said he believes new faculty will come to the University within a year to 18 months.