Departure of Tom Herrion catalyst for Virginia woes

With the Cavaliers fresh off their second final-minute victory in three games (and first ACC road win of the season), we have entered the eye of the "Gillen Must Go" storm. After sweeping through Charlottesville a few weeks ago, this squall of dissatisfaction has been temporarily silenced -- or suppressed, at least.

However, if another losing streak must be endured, the resurrected calls of replacement will certainly rain down from the rafters of University Hall. Even if Virginia manages to win two out of its remaining three games (against the High Heels, Wake Forest and Maryland), a strong finish may not be enough to detract critics from the program's third consecutive season with 10 conference losses.

When the aforementioned storm first hit, many variables were blamed for the recent struggles: offensive unity, rebounding, the lack of a defensive presence down low, recruiting and coaching -- just to name a few. Nevertheless, there is one key aspect of intrigue that I believe was overlooked when trying to explain how Virginia went from a top-five team in 2001 to a cellar-dweller three years later: the departure of assistant coach Tom Herrion in April 2002.

After the 2001-2002 season, the College of Charleston tapped Herrion to serve as its new head coach and replace the retired coaching legend John Kresse. Since Herrion packed his bags for the move down I-95, Gillen has been unable to find an able replacement for his former right-hand man.

Herrion served as an assistant coach under Gillen for four years at Providence and was promoted to head assistant coach in his four years with Gillen at Virginia. During their eight-year stint together, Gillen and Herrion went 142-103. Since his departure, the Cavaliers have gone 30-26.

So how has Herrion's absence hurt Virginia basketball? First of all, Herrion was the program's number one recruiter. As the lifeline for all college athletics programs, if you can't recruit quality players then you will have difficult racking up victories. During his tenure in Charlottesville, the Cavaliers pulled in three top 10 recruiting classes in four years. While a head coach may join the recruiting process to seal the deal or present the final pitch to a coveted high school swingman, it is the assistants who do the groundwork and legwork when it comes to bringing new talent into the program. If Virginia hopes to make a return trip to the NCAA tournament anytime soon, the recruiting trail will have to be the first path traveled successfully.

Second, Herrion was very involved when it came to coaching practices and barking orders in games. Gillen often noted how effective Herrion was in practice. During the games, Herrion was the squatty man in a suit standing and screaming out offensive and defensive sets while Gillen kneeled on his towel doing the same.

Known for his overt displays of fervor or frustration, Herrion was an even more excitable version of Gillen, minus the sweat. Quoted in the College of Charleston media guide, Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski calls Herrion "one of the most energetic assistant coaches I've ever seen in the Atlantic Coast Conference." It is that fiery passion that seems to be markedly lacking on the current Cavs bench.

So how is Herrion doing in Charleston? After going 25-8 last season (and an appearance in the NIT), the Cougars are 18-7 and tied for first in their division of the Southern Conference. Although it is impossible to say how much Herrion's absence has influenced the recent downward spiral in Cavalier hoops, it is no coincidence that the past two disappointing seasons have corresponded with his departure for Charleston.