Ensemble cast delivers award-winning performance

On a night typically reserved for the seniors to shine, it was a cast of Cavalier underclassmen that stole the spotlight. Just as a film needs the work of an entire cast to win Best Picture, Virginia turned in its best performance of the year in what was truly a total team effort.

With Wake Forest threatening to stretch its early nine point lead and run away and hide -- like it did against the Cavaliers earlier this season -- sophomore swingman Derrick Byars set the net on fire with 11 points in a three-minute span. Paced by two three-pointers and a three-point play, Byars scored more points in a few minutes than he had in his last four games combined.

Similarly, junior forward Jason Clark played his best game of the season and provided a much-needed presence around the rim on both sides of the ball. Clark sparked a second-half Virginia run with a ferocious break away dunk followed by a turn around jumper. In addition to these crucial buckets, Clark had a team high seven rebounds and was constantly altering Demon Deacon shots in the paint.

As the game reached its climactic moment, junior forward Devin Smith delivered an award winning finish. Scoring nine of the team's last 13 points, it was Smith's strong drive to the hoop that resulted in a three-point play that won the game for Virginia. Smith attacked the basket all night, just as he did on that final Cavalier possession, putting the pressuring Wake Forest defenders on their heels in the process.

While Byars, Clark and Smith all deserve recognition for their effective supporting positions, the leading role went to a freshman point guard, but not the one you would have expected. Going against rookie sensation Chris Paul of Wake Forest -- who Pete Gillen refers to as the top freshman in the country -- Cavalier point guard T.J. Bannister proved to be the night's biggest star.

After replacing senior point man Majestic Mapp in the first half, Bannister was able to push the ball while at the same time instituting a calming influence on the often-flustered Cavalier offense.

Bannister, whose increased playing time and role in the offense has coincided with the Cavalier winning streak, was consistently able to break Wake Forest's half court trap and seemed to penetrate at will before kicking out to open Cavalier shooters.

By halftime, Bannister had already surpassed his career high in assists with eight and finished the game with 12, the most by a Virginia player in over a decade.

Even more astounding than his 12 assists is the fact that Bannister only turned the ball over once while being defended by ACC steals leader Paul for most of the game. Never flustered, Bannister was able to create a bevy of open shots for his teammates. At the same time, he chipped in nine points of his own, including a huge trey that extended a Cavalier second half lead.

As Gillen clearly stated after the game about Bannister's superb play, "they [Wake] would have beat us badly if he doesn't play the way he did."

Despite a host of great performances by the Cavalier ensemble, it was the play of their floor general that made the difference. Fitting, isn't it, that the brightest star at this University last night was a youngster named T.J.?