Someone's in the kitchen...

Coming back to school after a tropical SpringBreak is and always will be a painful experience. How else do you describe the move from 90-degree weather to 35 degrees with clouds and a chance of rain?

With our short-lived vacations behind us, we return to the everyday life of a University student. Hit up Clemons, maybe Clark, and try to squeeze in some time for fun. But do not, under any circumstance, forget to eat -- it's one of the most important aspects of student life. From Newcomb to O-Hill, it's been rumored that cafeteria food at the University is not all that yummy. So how do students cope?

Thank goodness some students have great roommates who offer to cook up incredible feasts in return for good company. Anything from roast beef and gravy to homemade brownies to the classic macaroni and cheese -- these students are absolute saviors when it comes to feeding time. When you can't get yourself home for something made by Mom, these students can provide a close substitute.

So you're thinking, who are these students? Better yet, where can I find them, and how can I score a good meal?

Second-year College student Emily Smith began cooking in early middle school after several failed attempts in grade school.

"I made brownies once from scratch with no recipe -- that was really bad," Smith said.

When her father broke his ankle one summer and was forced to stay home, he spent more time cooking meals for the family. As a result, Smith picked up a few tricks of the mystical cooking trade from her dad.

"We never ate out, and my parents were the only ones who cooked for us," she said. "Even in school, I always brought lunch."

Smith also noted that cooking was practically a tradition in her family. Her grandmother passed down recipes to her mother, who eventually passed them down to her.

Eventually Smith had learned enough to get dinner started when her parents were running late.

Now practically living on her own in an off-Grounds apartment, Smith cooks nearly every night. Though she usually prepares easy, simple things, she said she enjoys getting her roommates together every now and then for a big meal.

"It's hard to cook a real meal for one person," she said.

Knowing her friends weren't into cooking, Smith took it upon herself to begin cooking for them on occasion. The dinners have become a social gathering for the roommates.

On Super Bowl Sunday, the girls gathered with friends to munch on Hot Virginia dip, seven-layer dip and meat and vegetarian chili. Emily got some help with the chili from her roommate, second-year Engineering student Annie Mitsak, who often shares cooking responsibilities with Smith.

Mitsak also began cooking in middle school with a cook book designed for kids, which she found lying around her kitchen at home. She said she started with taco cheeseburgers -- they quickly became her signature. More recently she has begun baking.

"Sweets taste better, and it's nice as well as easy to give baked goods to people," Mitsak said.

With mom no longer around at school, Mitsak has been forced to start cooking for herself like Smith. She also said she enjoys big meals with her roommates.

"Cooking brings us all together" Mitsak said. "We don't always see each other, and cooking gives us the opportunity to sit and eat together."

Some of her favorite productions have been tortilla soup, chicken and broccoli alfredo, chicken and biscuit casserole, homemade apple sauce and, of course, the Super Bowl chili. Both girls said they like to stick to good, hearty food rather than gourmet meals.

Mitsak also added that home-cooked food is a more nutritious alternative to take out. She tries to keep her recipes healthy, avoiding beef and fattening ingredients. Mitsak pointed out that while baked goods aren't always healthy, they aren't meant to be. Still, she replaces apple sauce for oil in baking recipes.

Both roommates mentioned time and money as factors which limit their options. With intricate recipes, their dishes are usually an ingredient short.

"A grocery trip is always necessary," Smith said. "And there is always something else that needs to get done -- homework, workouts at the gym, studying, etc."

Meals require lots of planning and, of course, lots of cleanup, which both girls cited as the biggest downside. The girls said, however, their roommates are usually glad to clean up their dishes since they don't share in the actual cooking process. Often when guests come, the cleanup chore becomes less demanding as it is shared by more people.

Often a guest of the girls, second-year College student Tyler Stall returns the favor by inviting the girls to sample some of his tasty treats.

"I couldn't afford eating out all the time so I turned to my cooking skills since [cooking] is so much cheaper," Stall said.

He began cooking in high school with his then-girlfriend. His parents were eager to show him how to cook, claiming that he would eventually need to know for college.

Although last semester he often cooked for his roommates, usually one or two nights a week, Stall mentioned that his 18-credit course load this semester has left him with little time. With the hassle of cleanup, Stall said sometimes the meals don't seem worth the effort.

Using mostly recipes from his childhood, Stall said he likes to create quick casseroles and Italian dishes, though he sometimes opts for a steak. His favorite recipe, tetrazini, is a staple that he has cooked for guests many times.

Stall also said he now enjoys cooking at home for his family during the holidays. Over the recent winter break, Stall made ham for Christmas dinner.

"Cooking has always given me satisfaction," Stall said. "I always have people telling me it's good."

For friends of Smith, Mitsak and Stall,the days of Newcomb and O-Hill may be over. Compliments might be the key to getting some good food around here.