Charlottesville residentmurdered early Sat.

In the third Charlottesville homicide of the year, 20-year-old Matthew Ray Nelepa was shot and killed at around 2 a.m. Saturday morning near the intersection of 7 ½ and Elm Streets in the Fifeville neighborhood. Police have no suspects or motive as of yet.

Nepela, who is not connected with the University, was only a few blocks from his house when he was shot, according to Charlottesville Police Sgt. David Jones. An unidentified officer on patrol heard shots and arrived at the scene shortly thereafter and found Nelepa on the ground. Nepala was transported to the University Medical Center and died later on that morning.

"We have no suspects, no motives, no weapon and no witnesses," Jones said. "We're trying to backtrack his last several hours and see where he was or who he was with."

Jones said he could not comment on the investigation beyond that. He did say, however, that the killing was most likely not a random murder.

"Anything's possible, but I don't think that is likely," Jones said.

According to a Daily Progress report, Nelepa may have been involved in an altercation at the Wild Wing Café shortly before his fatal shooting.

Wild Wing Café Manager Kirsten Kauffman said that she was not aware of any altercation at the restaurant that night.

"I wasn't here, but there tends to be more than one fight in the evening here" on Fridays, Kauffman said.

Nepela moved to Charlottesville from Philadelphia, Pa. about a year ago for an extended stay with family, according to Jones. His family could not be reached for comment.

Jones said that the area is not known for having a high crime rate.

"Anywhere someone is killed, I think that's surprising," Jones said. Charlottesville "crime statistics are actually down and I think homicides anywhere are not expected."

Area businesses said that they had heard of the crime, but had no direct knowledge of the incident.

Nelepa's murder marked the third Charlottesville homicide of the year. Azlee Keller Hickman was found dead in March and Candido B. Rivera was beaten and stabbed in June.

Information about the incident can be brought to the attention of the Charlottesville Police by calling the Crimestoppers line at (434) 977-4000.