A springtime medley of thoughts

With the weather expected to be upper 60s and sunny today, it's time to do some spring cleaning and empty out the file of random sports stories...

-With no resolution to the labor dispute in sight, the National Hockey League is expected to make a formal announcement later today to cancel the 2004-05 season. Most Americans were confused when they heard those reports, as they all thought the league ceased to exist a very long time ago.

According to the Toronto Globe and Mail, the lost season could cost Canada 170 million Canadian dollars of GDP for the year, which may or may not be a lot of money.

-In a bigger surprise, Pedro Martinez reported to the New York Mets spring training facility nine days before pitchers were required to report. The former Red Sox ace used to frustrate Boston fans and management by showing up to spring training several days late. His yearly excuse was that he had to be in the Dominican Republic to celebrate his father's birthday, but apparently the date changed this year. Perhaps the day is a wild card that changes every year -- just like the unpredictable UTS Grounds Loop bus. No one knows when it's supposed to come or where it's supposed to go -