Lawn residents selected for next year

The Lawn Selection Committee notified47 students chosen for a Lawn room last Friday.

The students underwent an application process last month in order to be considered for selection. The Lawn application consisted of three sections: basic biographical questions, two essay questions and a list of activities and awards.

The decision concerning who is allowed to live on the Lawn is solely decided upon by students, Dean of Students Penny Rue said.

"The accommodations office runs the process, they do not have a decision making role," she said.

The selection committee is composed of 35 students. Twenty are students who represent different student groups, and the remaining 15 students are graduating fourth-year students who are chosen by a random lottery.

"The selection committee is chosen from organization committees, therefore ensuring a diverse group to choose next year's Lawn residents," Education School Council Representative Sarah Conroy said. "This is the best way to get a variety of different opinions.

The students who decide to live on the Lawn will be required to submit their contracts by Feb. 18. Rue said if anyone does not accept they will look to the alternative list.

Considered by many to be one of the University's most distinguished honors, a room on the Lawn in Thomas Jefferson's Academical village is given to 47 fourth-year undergraduate students each year. The Cavalier Daily could not obtain a complete list of those selected by press time.

Third-year Commerce student David Hobbs was one of the students selected. He said he is very enthusiastic about living on the Lawn but wishes the process could have taken place in the fall to facilitate housing decisions.

"I like the community aspect of the Lawn," Hobbs said. "It's the center of campus, and it just draws people in."

Last month, 275 third years submitted applications to live on the Lawn. This was approximately thirty more applicants than the previous year.

Third-year College student David Reid said he applied to live on the Lawn after listening to his friends' experiences.

"What they have told me about how much fun it has been living in a central location is what made me want to apply," Reid said. "I'm really looking forward to living there next year."