A serious pick... and I'm not talking Vermont

If this column seems at all disjointed, let's just pretend I'm recovering from a blindside pick by Janel McCarville.

Like many other sports fans, I watched a sick amount of college basketball this weekend, and several things stuck out to me besides McCarville's pick on Latonya Blue -- which I'll discuss last, in an attempt to give my column some chronological structure, as it occurred Thursday night.

The first major shocker of the week had to be Vermont's win over Syracuse Friday night, particularly for those of us who had the Orange in their Final Four. Vermont being seeded with Syracuse was an endless source of frustration for me because I was a huge fan of the Catamounts after their America East tournament victory, but I just thought Syracuse was too good.

As the Catamounts pulled ahead and T.J. Sorrentine hit that 30-foot three-pointer in the closing minutes, my dad called me and claimed that, "You picked with your head, and not with your heart." It's an interesting experience to be part of a family where your heart is questioned because of an NCAA Tournament pool.

Let's move ahead to Saturday night, when West Virginia knocked off Wake Forest, 111-105, in double overtime, perhaps the most exciting game of the tournament so far. I was cursed with watching that game with my friend who attends West Virginia. I had to watch with unchecked jealousy as his team advanced to the Sweet 16, frustrated by the fact that I had chosen the basketball school. Basketball was supposed to be my season to celebrate, and instead he was the one cheering violently for his Mountaineers.

Of course, my jealousy subsided when he attempted to pop champagne after the game in honor of the victory, only to discover that he bought a screw top bottle. Watching him attempt to force the top off by simply pushing it and not twisting was a small victory, but a victory nonetheless.

Speaking of disappointments in the Virginia program, there were more rumors about who will replace Pete Gillen as coach. Virginia alum and CBS basketball announcer Dan Bonner was quoted in the Augusta Free-Press and said that he would be "flabbergasted" if Tubby Smith considered taking the Virginia job. You know what? I would be too. Coaching in the ACC is hard. I'd rather face Alabama and Florida every year than have to travel to Duke and North Carolina.

So after a weekend where I lost two of my final four teams with Wake Forest and Syracuse both going down, I got a chance to catch the second half of the Virginia women's second-round game against Minnesota.

I won't claim to be a great follower of women's basketball, particularly since I didn't find out there is no ten-second count for advancing the ball past half-court until last night. I know, shocking. Of all the rules to eliminate, I wouldn't have thought of that one. They do have a shorter shot clock, but why make the game different? I just don't understand.

I also thought the game was supposed to be more skilled and less physical, or at least that's what proponents of the women's game told me. Well, McCarville changed that perception quickly with the aforementioned pick on Blue. I mean, the 6-2 center for the Gophers blindsided Blue in the backcourt on the legal-but-seemingly-unnecessary pick. McCarville glowered at Blue as she trotted back down the court.

Forget a less physical game, at least when McCarville is on the court. That screen changed the game emotionally for the Cavaliers, and understandably so. I was intimidated myself, and I was 1,200 miles from the court.

So, now that there's a lull in the tournament action, I'm looking forward to going back to performing my usual duties as a college student. At least until Louisville and Washington tip off at 7:10 p.m. Thursday.