The ghosts of Virginia's basketball past

With college athletes only on campus for four or five years, fans are accustomed to their team's uniforms being filled by a revolving door of names and faces. In the case of the Virginia men's basketball program, that door has been revolving a bit faster than normal, as seven scholarship players transferred to new schools during Pete Gillen's tenure alone.

Ever wonder what happened to these vagrant players? I didn't think so, but I hope that you humor me, regardless. Armed with Google, LEXIS/NEXIS and a telephone, I've done my part to track down the whereabouts of these nearly forgotten athletes.

Maurice Young -- Few students on Grounds still remember the playing days of Young, who competed only as a freshman during the 2000-2001 season. He was twice named ACC Rookie of the Week.

He transferred to St. Bonaventure in January 2002, where he most likely will be remembered more for being a member of the team who chose not to play its final two regular season games in 2003 rather than for his contributions in 2004, when he ranked third on the team at 11.7 points per game. Instead, Young was among the St. Bonaventure players who chose to forego their final two games in 2003 after the team was forced to forfeit all of its wins that season when the NCAA ruled they had used an ineligible player.

He graduated last spring with a degree in journalism/communications and is now working in video production at ESPN.

J.C. Mathis -- The prized recruit from New York never panned out in Virginia after starring at John F. Kennedy High School in Brooklyn. The two-year player averaged just 4.1 points and 3.1 rebounds in 57 games for Virginia in the 2000-01 and 2001-02 seasons.

Mathis transferred to Michigan, where he was elected team captain by teammates for his first season of eligibility in Ann Arbor. As a senior this year, he played in 20 games, starting three, and averaged 1.8 points and 2.1 rebounds per game. In his final collegiate game, he played 13 minutes and did not score but recorded seven rebounds and, in all likelihood, countless pump fakes.

Mathis, who graduated with a degree in sports management and communications, hopes to continue playing basketball either in Europe or in minor professional leagues in the U.S.

Keith Jenifer -- The troubled point guard was averaging 5.6 points and 5.5 assists per game as a sophomore before he was suspended from the Virginia team in February 2003 for conduct detrimental to the team. He started 29 of his 48 games for the Cavaliers before transferring to Murray State. With the Racers this past season, Jenifer ranked third in the Ohio Valley conference with four assists per game.

Jermaine Harper -- The two-year player for Virginia and classmate of Jenifer had the distinct privilege of enjoying a winning conference record this season as a starting guard for Cal St. Fullerton. The Titans logged a 12-6 mark in the Big West and currently have a Sweet 16 NIT matchup against Georgetown on ESPN tonight at 7 p.m.

Nick Vander Laan -- Vander Laan spent two years on Virginia's Grounds yet was only able to play one season after transferring from California, but he made very little impact for the Cavaliers in 2002-03.

Vander Laan, however, had great success the following season after transferring to Concorida University in Irvine, Calif. The 6-foot-10 center was named the Golden State Athletic Conference's Player of the Year. After playing just 42 minutes in six games for the Golden State Warriors' summer league team, Vander Laan went to Europe, where he currently is on the inactive roster for Anwil Wloclawek in the Polish League.

Derrick Byars -- The only scholarship player of Virginia's class of 2006, Byars left the Cavalier program after his sophomore season. He started 34 of his 62 games at Virginia but never developed into the go-to offensive threat Gillen projected him to be. Mired in a logjam at small forward, Byars transferred to Vanderbilt where he will have two years of eligibility beginning with the 2005-06 season.

Majestic Mapp -- The former McDonald's All-American whose U.Va. legacy will be remembered more for his chronic knee injuries than his limitless potential, rejuvenated his basketball career this year at Division-II West Georgia, helping the Braves to a 23-7 record. An All-Gulf South East Conference first-team selection, Mapp was his team's leader in minutes per game (35.0) and points per game (18.2), which was good enough for fourth in the conference.