BFC restructures, elects board

Members of the University's division of the National Pan-Hellenic Council, formerly known as the Black Fraternal Council, revised its executive board structure yesterday when the outgoing and recently elected officers met.

Instead of having two co-chairs and a vice chair, the University's NPHC now has one president and two vice presidents. The revision was part of the transition of the Council from the BFC to the NPHC.

The NPHC members elected Phi Beta Sigma member Isaac E. Agbeshie-Noye as president, Kappa Alpha Psi member Jimi Larkins as vice president, Zeta Pi Beta member Ragan Collins as administrative vice president, Zeta Phi Beta member Olutola Itunu Adelugba as secretary and Phi Beta Sigma member Brandon Smith as treasurer.

According to Agbeshie-Noye, the mission and dedication of the Council remains the same although the name and executive board structure has changed.

"We are going to continue to focus on serving the community we are a part of and making the switch was so that we can better serve our community and utilize our resources," Agbeshie-Noye said.

He also said his role as a president is not a combination of the two chair positions.

"The responsibility is still equally divided between the president and the two vice presidents as it was before between two co-chairs and a vice chair," Agbeshie-Noye said.

According to Agbeshie-Noye, he has previously worked with Larkins and Collins and anticipates a smooth transition of leadership without any problems.

"We already have a strong relationship with each other, and we are also very passionate so I think it will be easier to work as a team," Agbeshie-Noye said.

The Council also voted to adopt its new bylaws, which will take effect when the NPHC transformation is complete, pending review from the national organization of the NPHC, outgoing BFC co-chair Ryan Chatman said.

Agbeshie-Noye said there will be many benefits for the Council in its move to the NPHC.

"Some of the resources that will be available are leadership development programs, officers who would be able to help and [give advice to] us as well as national service initiatives that we could help support here at the University," Agbeshie-Noye said.