Students purchase more Apples at bookstore

As incoming students select a type of computer to bring to school, Cavalier Computers has experienced a 57 percent increase in the sales of Apple machines, while sales of Dells are down 4 percent, according to Scott Layne, manager of the Student Bookstore branch of Cavalier Computers.

Layne said Apple computers have recently been gaining popularity, especially at colleges and universities. Student and national news sources also have reported on this trend as students purchase computers for school.

During the back-to-school season, Cavalier Computers sells more than 2,000 computers to University students, Layne said.

Although Dells make up the majority of the machines offered by Cavalier Computers, Apple computers accounted for 18 percent of the total number of computers sold at the store this school year, a 12 percent increase over last year, Layne said.

Mark Adcock, retail specialist of the Medical Center branch of Cavalier Computers, said Apple's new package deal may be one reason for its popularity.

"They have an increase in their warranty to four years to make it more competitive with other vendors, and they are offering better pricing as well as better configurations," Adcock said.

He said another improvement in Apple computers is that they come with pre-installed student software, whereas in previous years the software had to be downloaded from the Information Technology and Communication Web site.

Another reason Apples may be becoming more popular this year is because they are less susceptible to viruses most common on the network and other problems caused by traffic on the network, Adock said.

"Apples can still be broken into, hacked and accessed, but in general, viruses out there are for Windows," he said.

Chris Prue, a help desk coordinator at ITC, said the Windows operating system is more vulnerable to viruses.

"It is easier to write viruses for Windows, so Apples can be said to be more stable," Prue said.

Adcock said the eye-catching advertisement and other marketing strategies also may help attract potential customers.

"Overall, they tend to stick to their design aesthetics for the market they are trying to reach at particular times," Adcock said.

Some students who recently purchased laptops from Cavalier Computers said their decision came down to habit.

Third-year College student Giselle Plata, who purchased a Dell, said her familiarity with the Windows system was an important factor.

"I know more about Dells being more reliable for customer service, and I don't know much about Apple programs," Plata said.

First-year College student Bailey Albach, who got an Apple, said she is satisfied with her decision.

"It's really easy to use, and I can figure out a lot of stuff on my own," Albach said.