ISC considers joining National Panhellenic

The governing body of the Inter-Sorority Council, which is comprised of representatives from each of the University's 16 sorority chapters, will vote Sunday on whether or not the ISC will become a National Panhellenic Council, Inc.

ISC President Christina Valencia said there would not be any drastic changes, even if the vote is unanimous, because all 16 chapters already are individual members of the NPC -- the national umbrella organization for collegiate sororities -- although the University's ISC as a governing council is not.

In order for the change to go into effect, the vote must be unanimous.

Valencia said the issue has more to do with one's personal outlook than an actual change.

"When you're voting, you're basically deciding between changing or not changing," Valencia said. "Some people think it will be bad and others think it will be good, but the vote is not about good or bad."

According to Valencia, the main concern of ISC members who oppose the transition to the NPC system is the loss of independence, especially concerning chapter conflict resolutions in the current student-run judiciary system.

"If chapter representatives vote unanimously [to join the NPC], the first step before proceeding to the judiciary hearings would be mediation by an administrator," Valencia said.

David Bynes, assistant dean at the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life, also said his biggest concern is the change in the student-run judiciary system.

Bynes said he wants to ensure the University's tradition of student self-governance.

Those who are in favor of the transition, however, see many benefits to joining the NPC, Valencia said.

She said some of the benefits proponents of the transition to the NPC have cited results from being in alignment with other NPC sorority campuses.

"The majority of schools who have NPC sororities have a NPC governing council as well," Valencia said.

Should the vote on Sunday be unanimous, Valencia said another change is that NPC would provide programming resources, such as speakers and presentations, as well as more scholarships and awards.

Bynes said it is difficult for the representatives to determine how to vote because the chapters already are aligned with the NPC's policies and procedures.

"I think it's hard for the average member to see the benefits because they're already affiliated with a national organization, and the changes would be at a council level," he said.