Cavs' Peerman plows over defenders with determination

Junior running back Cedric Peerman, whom Virginia coach Al Groh called "Big P" during a press conference this season, must ignite fear in opposing defenders' eyes with his imposing size.

Five-foot-10 and 208 pounds?, Peerman can be a load to bring down because of his stocky build. One hit doesn't always bring him to the turf.

"I try not to let the first guy bring me down because after that ... if you can break a couple of tackles you can get out of the gates and get down the field after breaking at least a couple of tackles," Peerman said.

He said his physical style of play is something he started in his high school days and carried into his college career.

"That's how I ran throughout my whole high school career," Peerman said. "It's really showing up this year more so than in past years. I'm just happy that I'm running behind the guys I'm running behind."

It was his determination and heart, however, that encouraged Virginia coach Al Groh and his coaching staff to recruit Peerman. These characteristics were "apparent as one of the big attractions [of him] toward us when we wanted him on our team," Groh said.

Peerman has been vital in the Cavaliers' two wins this season. His success has come from developing a better running style over his years at Virginia.

"[I'm] just being more decisive," Peerman said. "Getting my pads north and south, getting up field and just trying to get the necessary yards needed to advance down the field."

He is also trying to take care of himself on the field.

"I just try to get on the sides of people and [try not to] take too many guys heads up, because that's when it can really wear and tear on you throughout the season," Peerman said.

Groh said Peerman changed his training style to overcome some tightness he endured while running in the past. His experience has also improved his play.

"We all agreed he probably got a little tight in the past," Groh said. "Experience -- those things that were confusing to him [such as] where the cut was, what the pass protection was -- now he's been in the system for quite awhile, and just getting to be a one-cut runner."

After redshirting in 2004, Peerman immediately made an impact in 2005, especially on kickoff returns. He took the opening kickoff of the first game of the 2005 season 35 yards down the field against Western Michigan. Peerman tied for second in the ACC in kickoff return average that year (25.8 yards per return) and was 22nd in the country in that category. He also finished the year with 70 rushes for 237 yards (3.4 yards per carry).

Peerman's rushing production actually went down slightly last year. He rushed fewer times for fewer yards (46 for 153) but only saw a minimal decrease in his yards per rush (3.3).

Though his rushing performance suffered somewhat in 2006, his kickoff returns improved to 27.3 yards per return.

This season, Peerman appears to be back on track to develop into a consistent running back defenses have to be prepared for. After carrying for only 18 yards in the season debut at Wyoming, Peerman has exploded over the last two games against Duke and North Carolina for 323 yards (161.5 yards per game) and two touchdowns. Currently, he is first in the ACC in rushing yards per game (113.7).

Granted, that success came against the Tar Heels and Blue Devils, who rank seventh (137 yards/game) and ninth (153.3 yards/game) respectively in the ACC in rushing yards allowed. Saturday's game against Georgia Tech will put Peerman to the test. So far this season, its defense have allowed an average of 56 yards per game (2nd in the ACC) , so it will be interesting to see if Peerman's imposing size can penetrate the Yellow Jackets' defense.