Lalich, Sewell aim to keep opponents off-balance

After Virginia football coach Al Groh recently stated that he wants to use both sophomore Jameel Sewell and freshman Peter Lalich in a two-quarterback rotation system for the rest of the season, Cavalier fans may have visions of Chris Leak and Tim Tebow dancing in their heads.

The system that worked so well for the Florida Gators last season and produced a national championship has been cited often among Virginia's players and coaches.

"Florida benefited last year having Tim Tebow and Chris Leak," senior offensive guard Ian-Yates Cunningham said. "So now we're able to benefit from some of the same things they brought to their offense [by bringing them] to our offense. Having two guys back there with different type of styles, they're fairly confident back there in the huddle and in the pocket. You wouldn't want it any other way."

At Florida, then-senior Leak was the pocket passer, while then-freshman Tebow ran the ball more. Each took advantage of his particular skill set. The Cavaliers hope to do the same with Sewell and Lalich.

"The national champions used two quarterbacks a lot," senior tight end Tom Santi said. "We know both guys are going to play, because both guys are capable of doing some good things for us. We're going to try to maximize both of their abilities."

Each quarterback is unique in his own way. Sewell, a southpaw, has a year of experience under his belt and is able to scramble out of the pocket and run for touchdowns. Last season, he rushed for 200 yards and 4 touchdowns. Against Duke this past weekend, Sewell rushed for 33 yards on just four carries. Lalich, a right-hander, is a traditional pocket passer who has shown more accuracy than Sewell so far this season. However, he is not as fast as Sewell.

"At times [rotating Sewell and Lalich in and out of a game] will be different," Santi said. "They each have their unique skill sets. One guy might do one thing better, and another guy might do another thing better. We practice those things so nothing comes as a surprise. We're ready."

The atmosphere exuding from the locker room is positive. Cunningham said there is no division among players when it comes to which quarterback should get more playing time.

"I'm sure from the outside looking in you would suspect [a division of the locker room] to happen," Cunningham said. "You have a guy who started last year, and you have the true freshman who is highly regarded and highly touted come in and, from the outside, [seemingly] take his position. But Jameel's one of those guys who understands that he'll do anything to help our team win. There's no 'I like Jameel more' or 'I like Peter more.' There's none of that going on in the locker room."

The quarterbacks themselves agreed that the team can benefit from their partnership.

"I think we both bring different things to the table," Lalich said. "I think we can win with both of us."

Sewell agrees and is focusing on putting the team first, noting that even though he wanted to be out on the field with the offense on its final scoring drive against Duke, he was excited for the team.

"Whatever makes the team excel," Sewell said. "Competition is a good thing. We want to help our team get better ... For me I see it as a collaboration."

While Cavalier fans may not want to get too hasty in their comparison of Sewell and Lalich with Leak and Tebow, there could be something to look forward to this season if Virginia's tandem can produce anything close to what the two Gators did last year down in the Florida swamp.