Engineering award focuses on industry

Chemical engineering students can expect better career preparation thanks to a $100,000 endowment fund donated by University alumnus Robert A. Moore, Jr. for the purpose of increasing student exposure to industry. The endowment funds an award, which was first given last month to Chemical Engineering Prof. Matt Neurock for his work integrating the aspect of industry into his teaching, and will continue to be awarded annually to other members of the Chemical Engineering department.

According to Chemical Engineering Department Chair Robert Davis, who presented the award, Neurock has conducted collaborative research over the past year with companies including Shell and Exxon. His collaborations have brought in about $370,000 in funding, Davis said.

Neurock has helped a doctoral student join the staff of one of these companies and licensed a computer code, two efforts factored into his selection for the award, Davis said.

Davis noted, however, that the award will not necessarily be given every year to faculty members based on their work with outside companies -- it might instead recognize faculty who create undergraduate internships or sponsor lectures.

"It's a very nonspecific award," he said.

Neurock plans to use the award for "educating graduate students and enhancing their interactions with industry."

Davis said he worked with the Engineering School Dean's Office to determine which faculty member should receive the first award. Neurock will replace Davis on the selection committee next year.

Neurock added that Moore himself taught at the University in 1997 as a Brent Halsey Distinguished Visiting Professor of Chemical Engineering. The Brent Halsey professorship is a program that annually brings a different researcher specializing in the field of chemical engineering to the University to teach a class for one semester, generally about topics that are less technical.

"I was ... extremely pleased at Bob Moore's generosity in actually providing support for the department," Neurock said.

He also noted that the award encourages students to use scientific knowledge to solve practical problems.

"It's something that our department strongly promotes," Neurock said.