University revamps networking site

Cavalier Daily Associate Editor University students concerned that their Facebook pictures might not be conducive to job searching now have a new, career-oriented online networking option. The Web site, called the HoosOnline Network, combines a previously-existing alumni directory and a social networking site called Affinity Circles that was contracted by the University.

The University added the social networking aspect to modernize the site, according to Zach Wheat, assistant director of client services for the Interactive Media Initiative, a part of the University Relations office. HoosOnline has been an alumni directory since 1999, but the new version was launched late last month, he said. Since then, about 4,700 people have joined the online network.

While there have been some glitches to work out since the launch date, especially relating to registration, there has been "nothing that we haven't been able to work through," Wheat said.

While Wheat monitors the site to make sure there are no problems, he said the University does not review all the profiles and groups created.

"This is not a moderated discussion on the University's part," he said. "We're letting it be self-policing."

HoosOnline is not intended to be a replacement for social networking Web sites like Facebook or Myspace, Wheat explained, adding that the career networking aspect sets it apart from those sites.

Brian Leung, University law student and 2005 class trustee, worked with other members of his class to aid in the conception of the Web site by giving University administrators suggestions for features.

"We really wanted to make sure that this was not used primarily as a social networking tool," he said. "We really wanted it to be career oriented."

Leung said HoosOnline is unique because it can be used more purposefully, particularly since it can actually help students and alumni easily identify job opportunities and navigate the job application process. HoosOnline is also different because it is only open to University community members, Leung added.

"There's a certain level of camaraderie," he said.

Leung said he still notifies Alumni Hall through the HoosOnline site when he has ideas for further improvements. For example, he said he would like to see a link at the top of the page that would indicate which industries each member is interested in finding information about.

While an e-mail has already been sent to alumni about HoosOnline, Wheat said the University plans to continue to market and add features to the site.

"We want to encourage more content that's kind of fun or career-oriented," he said.

Wheat said he has been encouraged by the number of people who have registered with the site so far, noting that a central goal of the project is to keep alumni connected with the University.

University spokesperson Jeff Hanna echoed this sentiment.

"I think the goal of this initiative is to keep our alumni connected both to one another and to the University, and that the form that this part Web site takes is one that has become very familiar to many people, especially to younger alumni," Hanna said.