Cavalier triathletes push their limits daily

Though many U.Va. students have heard of the triathlon -- either because it is an Olympic sport or because of the well-known Ironman race -- many do not know the University is home to its own triathlon club.

A standard triathlon consists of three consecutive events -- a 1.5-kilometer swim, a 40-kilometer bike race and a 10-kilometer run -- that last for a total of about 2 to 3 hours. Though the race may sound overwhelming to some, triathlon club President Chris Morrow said it may not be as bad as you think.

"It's really not as taxing as it sounds," Morrow said. "You don't use the same muscles for every event. The hardest transition is from the bike to the run because most people don't run on tired legs."

To prepare for competitions, Virginia's triathlon team swims together every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 6:40 a.m. and bikes together every Saturday at 10 a.m.

"The practice runs are usually organized by the club members among themselves," Morrow said. "Everyone has different schedules and ability levels, so we schedule when we run on our own."

The structure of collegiate triathlon competition differs from that of more traditional collegiate sports. The triathlon season runs from April to November, which means most students are not in school for a significant portion of the season. Additionally, because the triathlon is not an NCAA-sanctioned varsity sport, there are no real conferences or divisions, so Virginia students compete in triathlon competitions featuring many different schools. There is also no limit on the number of years in which an athlete can enter these events; graduate students often compete in them.

The biggest race of the year for collegiate triathletes is often the first, the Collegiate Nationals, which will be held this year in Tuscaloosa, Ala. Virginia's team finished fifth last year, an impressive finish when one considers that many colleges from across the country participated. Other competitions in which the team has competed include the Big Lick Triathlon, which serves as the East Collegiate Championships and in which club member Rudy Kahsar finished first individually last year. The Pinehurst Triathlon in North Carolina is an alternate race that is more geared toward individual competition. Racers do not enter the event as part of a team.

Virginia students training for triathlons such as these are participating in a sport that dates back to French races in the 1920s and 30s called "Les trois sports." The modern triathlon began in 1974 and debuted at the Sydney Olympics in 2000. The Ironman Triathlon competition began in 1978 and is even longer, with a 3.86-kilometer swim, a 180.2-kilometer bike race, and a 42.2-kilometer run.

One key difference in the rules for the Olympic triathlon and collegiate triathlons is that in Olympic triathlons, drafting is legal in the bike race. This technique consists of an athlete riding very close to the bike in front of him, using some of its force to help propel him forward. Drafting allows the biker in the back to exert about 10 percent less effort. The practice is illegal in collegiate races, however, making the bike race more a matter of raw ability.

Though the rules of collegiate triathlons stress natural ability, Morrow noted that many of the club's athletes had no previous experience with triathlons.

"We have a lot of people who have never done anything like this," Morrow said. "There's plenty of people at nationals that do this just for fun. Anyone who's willing to put in the effort to train can do this."

Kahsar began training seriously only last spring and qualified for the XTerra World Championship in Maui last year.

"I met Andrew Hodges, a professional triathlete who went to grad school here at U.Va.," Kahsar said. "He gave us all training schedules that really helped us."

Even those who may not have as much immediate success as Kahsar can enjoy participating in the triathlon club, according to Morrow.

"It's a great way to meet a lot of fun people," Morrow said. "This is one of those sports where just finishing the race is a victory"