Move-In Musings

Students reflect on navigating the trials and tribulations of the University’s Move-In Day

This past weekend, Grounds was a flurry of stuffed SUVs and discarded cardboard boxes as students prepared to begin their fall semester. The Life section caught up with a few to talk about moving in, the dormitory atmosphere and students’ first night out.

Lincoln Hines
Third-year College student

“I came in at the end of the day, so there wasn’t a lot of traffic. I still haven’t met my roommate. He just dropped everything off in the room and left me a little note. It looks like he packed more than I did, which is a small victory for me — I pride myself on not packing much. In the note he basically said hello and that we could negotiate which room we’d each get. I looked through his stuff a little to get an idea of him, and he seems like a pretty average guy. I mean, he has clothes, and I have those too. I think I can probably push him around.”

Tiffany Smith and Loraine Collins
First-year Engineering and College students

TS: ”I moved in early, so there wasn’t a lot of traffic. It was really smooth — I’m from Charlottesville, so it wasn’t too difficult.”
LC: “I brought a lot of stuff, [but] I wish I brought a robe. I moved in from Chesapeake, so I can’t just get one from home ... The first night here was fun, but the showers were weird.”
TS: “The showers are definitely not like the showers at home.”

David Nguyen
First-year College student

”My first night was nice. I went to the block party. It was a little overwhelming, seeing all the people out there. But I’m on the tennis team, so I already knew a lot of people; I had those connections. Especially since I’m from Maryland, it was nice coming here knowing some people already.”
On playing tennis: “Tennis practice is every day — starting next week, it’s five days a week. I’m not worried about it interfering with my schoolwork. I think it’ll even help me stay focused.”

Sijie Xia
First-year College student

”The move went fluidly. The volunteers here were very helpful. I came here straight from China five days ago. This is actually my first time in the U.S.”
On why he chose the University: “She needs me.”
On differences between American and Chinese schools: “The sun is really hot and shiny here. I haven’t been to a Chinese university before, so how can I compare them? But I think there are some differences. Students have more freedom. But here, you can’t drink. In China, that was never an issue. ... Also, people here say hello; they’re more friendly and helpful.
On dining: “The food here is much better. In China, there’s no dollar menu at McDonald’s, but most of the average food here is a lot more expensive. The average high school meal in China is just five yuan [about 75 cents].”

Alexandra Staeben and Kaitlyn McDowell
First-year College students

AS: ”The trip down [from Arlington] wasn’t bad. We took the ‘scenic detour’ — [Route] 29 was closed. It was rough getting up four flights of stairs, but the RAs and all the volunteers in yellow shirts were really helpful.”
KM: “We just filled up the back of our Explorer. There wasn’t too much traffic, but we got a little lost once we got on Grounds. I’m on the fourth floor of Watson, so it was hard to get everything up the stairs. I didn’t bring a TV, just my computer, which I love, some clothes and the usual supplies.”
AS: “I just brought the usual things, plus tons of DVDs. They’re my version of a security blanket. And all seven Harry Potter books.”
KM: “Why wouldn’t you need Harry Potter?”
AS on her first night in the dorm: “I had some trouble getting to sleep last night, but overall it was pretty good.”
KM: “I slept like the dead last night. I didn’t go to the block party, but I did get the cotton candy and candy apples. Was that by the AFC? I don’t know anything around here yet ... I saw a few roaches [in my dorm]. I even saw a rat. It was like a foot long. That’s probably the most exciting thing that’s happened since I’ve been here.”

Elliott Moody
Fourth-year College student

“I started working here [at the Newcomb Hall information desk] last semester. Move-in weekend has been very busy. There’s been a lot of new students coming here, trying to figure out their mail, where their classes meet, those sorts of things. But it’s been fun. It’s interesting, and I get to meet a lot of new people ... My move was really easy, since I’ve been here all summer; I was done moving at the end of last semester. I’ve been working here at the desk, but also at the SAC and in Events Planning upstairs.”

Iain McLeod
Fourth-year College student

Move in went “flawlessly. I’ve got three years of practice by now. I knew where to go, I got my key, I got moved in. I didn’t even see my suitemates until a lot later.
On summer and the upcoming semester: Summer was great. I worked at a program teaching kids to program video games, which was really fun. I’m actually taking a class this semester on that. I just got my book and looked through it, and the first three chapters are mostly the same as the work I was doing this summer... Now I’m just picking up some supplies — soap, detergent, all that — and trying to figure out what I forgot. I already know I didn’t bring any DVDs, though that’s probably a good thing. I actually have a TV this year, with a DVD player and everything, and now I don’t have anything to watch on it. That was a little short-sighted.”