Sharing the road

Student cyclists explain the benefits and drawbacks of biking on Grounds

Earlier this month, second-year College student Shankar Srinivasan was biking home from class near Monroe Hill when he was struck by a car. Srinivasan, who wasn’t wearing a helmet at the time, flipped over the vehicle. Luckily, he said, the heavy textbooks in his backpack made him land on his back, “saving my life.” Srinivasan suffered no broken bones, sustaining only minor bleeding. “The damage to the car was actually worse than the damage to my bike,” he said. While safety is a large concern for student cyclists, several factors are at play when students choose to bike on Grounds.
While Srinivasan’s experience may be atypical, the dangers of riding the busy University streets do worry some. “Several times I’ve been almost run off the road by people who speed up to pass me,” Srinivasan said. “I try to be alert and constantly know what’s over my shoulder now.” Third-year College student Andrew Case, who rides his bike to class and around Charlottesville every day, said he’s also been in biking accidents on Grounds.
These crashes, however, were not always due to others; “The main threat is my own recklessness as I’m hurrying to make it to class on time,” he said.
Students who ride to and from classes at the University are part of an increasing trend around the country. Cycling has been on the rise nationally over the past few months, due in large part to rising gas prices. The New York Times reported in August that the number of people cycling daily in New York was up 77 percent from 2000.
Srinivasan, who said he rides to and from class every day, emphasized this idea. “Every single commuter biker decreases the demand for gasoline,” he said.
Gas prices are not the only reason students choose to ride. The University’s Department of Parking and Transportation Web site encourages biking, stating: “Cycling is a healthy, convenient and environmentally responsible transportation alternative.” Case reiterated the benefits of biking. “Biking saves so much time, and gives me the ability to enjoy the greater Charlottesville community,” he said.
Third-year Commerce student Tracy Dunn, who said she rides her bike about six times a week, also enjoys biking for the time it cuts out of her commute. “Biking is a great way to get to class in half the time,” she said. “The buses aren’t reliable, so it’s been a lifesaver.”
Despite occasional or potential accidents, Dunn, Srinivasan and Case expressed feeling safe when biking around Grounds. Dunn, who has never been involved in a biking accident on Grounds, said she’s really “not worried about drivers or other bikers” when she’s cycling.
“Grounds is a safe [place to cycle],” Srinivasan said, adding that he sees his accident as an anomaly. “McCormick’s speed limit is 15 [miles per hour], and in most places the road’s wide enough for three cars.” Case affirmed this notion, adding that he feels safe on McCormick because it’s often blocked off to cars.
Although not all roads around Grounds have bike lanes, students utilize those available. “The bike lanes on Emmet and Jefferson Park Avenue are great,” Case said. “The one on JPA is literally a life saver. Bikers always move faster than cars along University Avenue, so they sometimes have to ride on the far right, sandwiched between the traffic and the stone wall opposite the Corner.”
Additionally, the dangers of biking around Grounds at night are lessened by laws requiring bikers to ride with lights. According to the Department of Parking and Transportation’s Web site, proper lighting entails a white light in the front and a red light in the back. Case, who said he frequently has to ride his bike after midnight, has been pulled over before for not having lights. “Almost all policemen let it go if you’re on Grounds,” he said, but noted that he has also been pulled over downtown for the same reason.
Although some students may feel safe while biking on Grounds, there are other reasons beyond potential accidents that can make cycling unpleasant. “Way too many drivers honk at bikers,” Srinivasan said, whose also been cursed at. In addition, he said drivers get too angry when he coasts by them or doesn’t stop at stoplights.
“People need to realize that when you’re responsible for propelling yourself, every little bit of momentum counts,” he said. “From an efficiency standpoint, coming to a complete stop is stupid.”
Case, meanwhile, said he feels pedestrians are more worrisome than drivers when he’s on a bike. “They often don’t see me when the check the road to cross,” he said, adding, “I nearly hit two people crossing the street yesterday.”
Nevertheless, students enjoy biking around Grounds and Charlottesville, and plan to continue despite dangers and annoyances. Srinivasan stressed that bikers, drivers and walkers can all share the road, if people are considerate. “Courtesy is the only thing that makes the traffic system work,” he said. “We should be able to share the road without fearing for our lives.”