Obama has judgment

THE PAST eight years have transformed America from one of the most respected countries in the world to an international joke. The Bush doctrine — embraced by John McCain — has left us dangerously overextended and with few friends to call on for help. Today, America faces challenges on many fronts: Al Qaeda still resides within the borders of Afghanistan, Iran is pursuing nuclear weapons, and Russia has become increasingly erratic. Meanwhile, the vast majority of our forces are bogged down in Iraq, while the Iraqi security forces should, by this time, be taking responsibility for their own country.

In 2002, despite the overwhelming political pressure at the time, Barack Obama had the judgment to predict the fiasco of Bush’s and McCain’s foreign policy, saying the invasion of Iraq would result in “an occupation of undetermined length, with undetermined costs and undetermined consequences.” As John McCain and the Republicans play political games with slogans like “cut and run” to oppose withdrawal plans, more American troops die every day and two billion dollars are spent every week.

Barack Obama has set forth a plan to bring a responsible end to the war in Iraq by creating a timetable for a phased withdrawal, easing the burden on our over-stretched military while transitioning responsibility of the security of Iraq to its own people. Such a phased withdrawal from Iraq is fundamental to a successful foreign policy, one which will make available to us the resources and manpower necessary to confront greater threats around the world.

Let this be clear: the terrorists responsible for the tragedy of Sept. 11 are located in the mountains of Afghanistan and Western Pakistan – not Iraq. Barack Obama understands that Al Qaeda is the greatest threat to American security and that finding Osama bin Laden is a national priority, and for years he has sounded the call to focus our energy there. As president, he will refocus our country’s foreign policy by acting on reliable intelligence to bring bin Laden to justice.      

Another looming threat to American security is the nuclear ambitions of Iran. Unlike John McCain and his cry of “Bomb, Bomb, Bomb, Bomb, Bomb Iran!” Barack Obama has been a leader in fighting nuclear proliferation, reaching across the aisle to work with Republican Dick Lugar on the issue. He stresses the primacy of diplomacy in keeping the country safe, rather than preemptive military strikes. In the years since President Bush declared Iran and North Korea part of the “axis of evil,” refusing to speak with them, both countries have made great strides in developing and acquiring weapons of mass destruction. Barack Obama has said that his administration will speak with any foreign leader, without impossible preconditions. This kind of dialogue will restore the world’s faith in our ability to effectively lead as a peace-making nation.

In order to address the dangers confronting us, America must look forward with a 21st Century perspective. The resurgence of Russia is a perfect example of new crises that we face and the imperative need to restore our international alliances and respect in the world. In dealing with such delicate issues of national sovereignty, we and the international community must use the leverage of collective action to influence their behavior, such as working together to reduce the world’s dependency upon Russian energy.

In today’s dangerous world, America needs a leader with judgment, foresight and the courage to do what is right. John McCain likes to call himself a “maverick,” yet he has been the Bush administration’s biggest cheerleader on every major facet of foreign policy — policies which we have watched fail time and time again over the last eight years. As president, Barack Obama will bring the change we need to ensure American safety and restore our standing in the international community

Michael Feuerstein is communications coordinator for the University Democrats.