Researchers discover way to reverse effects of aging

Professors increase growth hormone to decrease frailty

In the November issue of the Annals of Internal Medicine, University researchers in the endocrinology department published their discovery of a way to increase growth hormone levels in the elderly that may lead to advances in reversing the physical effects of aging.

Asst. Endocrinology Prof. Ralf Nass and Prof. Michael Thorner conducted a double-blind placebo study at the University’s General Clinical Research Center of 65 healthy older adults ranging from 60 to 81 years of age. The patients who received treatment were given a drug called MK 677, which has been known to increase growth hormone levels, Nass said.

Thorner explained that growth hormone secretion declines with age, and he and Nass sought to discover whether that is correlated with muscle loss and whether restoring growth hormones would correspond with a growth in muscle mass.

Thorner said the goal of this study was “to determine whether MK 677 ... is able to stimulate growth hormones like that seen in young people and prevent the loss of muscle mass that occurs with aging.”

Nass said the study also sought to discover whether a drug could help reverse “the multi-systemic decline which occurs with aging,” such as the reduction of muscle mass.

Thorner said he and Nass were able to restore the growth hormones of patients to that of healthy 20- to 30-year-olds. Thorner added that while a normal older person loses a pound of muscle mass in a year, participants in the study increased their muscle mass by an average of two pounds.

Nass said the MK 677 was well-tolerated in patients with only mild side effects. According to Nass’ report, these effects included mild and brief general swelling and a temporary appetite increase.

Thorner said he is pleased with the results of the study, but more research need to be completed in the future.

“A lot more work needs to be done,” Thorner said. “Now studies need to be done in frailer older people to see whether we can actually have an impact on their strength and function and to prevent them becoming frail and prevent them having to need assisted living.”
Nass also noted the need for additional studies to advance the long-term goal of helping the elderly lead more independent lifestyles.

“This study is one step into that, a promising step,” Nass said. “But there need to be additional studies.”