The hidden treasure

Some students whine about the lackluster quality of the University’s dining halls. They complain about trivial nuisances such as long lines, poor customer service and dead animals in their soup. These students have never been to Runk Hall Dining Room.

If there is one thing I’ve learned during my short time here at the University, it is that Runk, dubbed by dining hall connoisseurs worldwide as “The Hidden Treasure,” is the hippest, most bodacious place to eat on Grounds. Located in the boonies of the University (aka the Hereford College area), Runk is often neglected by students with tolerable living locations. Either unaware of Runk’s existence altogether or simply too lazy to go the extra mile — or two — to get there, they opt for the long lines and crowded tables of Newcomb and O-Hill. What they fail to recognize is that Runk is the friendliest, most welcoming place around, and perhaps more importantly, is always giving out free stuff. Seriously, I now have enough shampoo to keep an entire herd of yaks clean for a year.

While Runk’s lack of crowds is certainly a plus, its most outstanding attribute, manager Jerry Trombley said, is the relationship students have with employees.

“Students really get to know our employees,” Trombley said. “Runk is often not very crowded, which allows us to chat with students about sports and school and stuff like that. O-Hill and Newcomb are just too busy for that.” Trombley added that he always manages to eat lunch with students, saying that he is very receptive to their ideas and suggestions for improvement to the dining hall — though I must note that my request for leather massage chairs has yet been acknowledged.

Speaking of improvement, any intelligent person, or even a reasonably bright protist, can see that Runk has made tremendous strides during the past few years. What used to be a regular old cafeteria has been transformed into a mouth-watering, many-windowed, not-so-regular cafeteria. For starters, the building itself is pleasing to the eye. The massive, sloped, glass windows give off an aquarium/spaceship aura, while the funky interior lighting and oddly shaped ceiling make visitors feel as if they were eating in an art museum. Of course, the food has also improved. The Mongolian Grill, my personal favorite station, was installed this summer to complement the Fire and Ice station, which now serves up flavorful dishes cooked right before your eyes. The island salad bar, the only organic salad bar on Grounds, is another recent addition that students enjoy.

Unlike Newcomb and O-Hill, Runk thrives on simplicity. At Newcomb, stranded students can be found fighting their way through long lines and trekking across room after room to find the kind of food they want, only to forget their fork and proceed to spend the next 10 minutes on the prowl for the elusive silverware bin. (Yes, I admit I am basing this on personal experience.) But at Runk, everything you need is packed closely together, allowing students to gather all their food and find an open table in less time than it takes the average first-year to get through the 300-yard-long line at the entrance of Newcomb. Meanwhile, at O-Hill, even leaving the place is a struggle. With my to-go box in hand and the exit stairs in front of me, I am always baffled when the cashier insists that I take the Great Circle Route before walking down those stairs. At Runk, I am able to leave the place just as easily as I entered it — although not before I grab some shampoo or even an entire box of Doritos.

If you are still not convinced that Runk is one of the top 15 dining halls on the Eastern seaboard, as People Magazine declared last month, consider these facts:

1. Runk is the only dining hall with After Hours.

2. Runk provides all the commissary items a University student needs free of charge.

3. Runk has a piano. A PIANO, people! Come on!

4. It also has a television.

5. Runk feeds the Shea House, the French House and the Spanish House.

6. Runk has the freshest musical selection around. Seriously, if you’re tired of the mundane rap/pop music at O-Hill, come to Runk, where anything from Euro Disco to African tribal chants to talk radio can be heard at any given moment.

Even in the face of student adoration and international acclaim, Runk manages to maintain peace and quiet. Trombley said that’s just the way they like it. “We like to keep our status the way it is,” he said.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I just heard Runk is giving out free laptops.

Nick’s column runs weekly Fridays. He can be reached at n.eilerson@cavalierdaily.com.