Managing the budget shortfall

A proposal to reduce prison sentences for nonviolent offenders would cut costs

THE VIRGINIA General Assembly convened for the first time this year on Jan. 14, and the most pressing issue on its agenda will be balancing the state budget. The current budget shortfall for Virginia is estimated at $3.2 billion and could possibly reach $4 billion due to falling tax revenues. Along with other cost cutting measures, Gov. Tim Kaine proposed releasing 1,000 non-violent inmates from state prisons 90 days early. This measure is estimated to save $5 million by 2010 and should be enacted quickly in order to have the maximum fiscal benefit to the state.

Though public safety must be taken into consideration, if handled correctly this would be an easy way to reduce the state budget without cutting crucial government programs such as education. Additionally, this fiscal crisis provides an opportunity to reconsider the state prison system and how it may best ensure public safety in the most cost-effective manner.

Virginia is not the only state considering the early release of prisoners in order to save money. California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (R) is looking to reduce the prison population by 15,000, and Kentucky has gone so far as to release even violent offenders in a cost-cutting measure that released almost 2,000 prisoners early. Rhode Island also proposed reductions in prison time for good behavior that included violent criminals. The need for public safety cannot be pushed aside for budget cuts, but budget reductions are necessary and can be accomplished without compromising the safety of Virginia’s citizens.

Kaine’s proposal would leave the decision as to which prisoners were released early up to the director of the Virginia Department of Corrections and does specify that only nonviolent inmates are to be released. A potential problem with this proposal lies in the ambiguity associated with defining a nonviolent prisoner. An inmate who is currently incarcerated for a nonviolent crime but that has a previous conviction of a violent crime could potentially be considered for release. Since sentences are generally longer for repeat offenders, it makes sense to have previously violent criminals serve the entire sentence for a nonviolent crime. Before this measure is enacted, the term nonviolent needs to be defined in such a way as to include a criminal’s entire record. If only truly nonviolent prisoners were released, public safety would not be adversely affected, and the state could save its resources.

Parole was abolished in Virginia in 1995, although currently, inmates can earn up to a 15 percent reduction in their sentence for good behavior. Another way to cut costs would be to increase the reduction across the board for nonviolent prisoners and especially for first time offenders. Longer prison terms are not associated with a reduction in repeat offenses. While imprisonment does serve to punish offenders, the length of a prison term is unrelated to correcting behavior. Therefore, it does not make sense to have lengthy prison sentences for nonviolent offenders.

Virginia should take this opportunity to cut costs now, and in the future should revisit incarceration policies to allow for punishment of criminals in the most cost-effective manner. Several states are instituting policies to send drug offenders to rehab instead of prison; this is much less expensive than prison and has a better chance of reforming the criminals’ behavior. Other states like Texas and Kansas release prisoners early after they complete specific programs in prison and are expanding their treatment and deterrent programs to reduce the numbers headed into prison.

While a complete overhaul of the prison system will not come quickly or without cost, the budget crunch provides an ideal opening to address what is and is not working in state prisons. All state agencies could stand to be made more efficient, but reducing the number of inmates will have an immediate affect on the state budget. As long as the early release prisoners are nonviolent offenders, public safety will not be adversely affected, and there can be no reason not to enact this proposal. Releasing nonviolent prisoners early is a cost-cutting measure that would be beneficial for all even without the budget shortfall. The General Assembly should act quickly to save the taxpayers’ money and preserve vital government programs that are needed more than ever in a recession.

Annette Robertson is a Cavalier Daily associate editor. She can be reached at a.robertson@cavalierdaily.com.