Men

The Virginia men’s lacrosse team returns to Klöckner Stadium tonight to take on Mount St. Mary’s. The No. 2 Cavaliers are looking to build on their strong start to the season and improve their record to 4-0.

Virginia is coming off a 20-10 win against Stony Brook Saturday, a game in which senior attackman Garrett Billings tied a school record for scores in a game, notching an impressive eight nettings. The lethal offensive trio of Billings, senior Danny Glading and freshman Steele Stanwick combined for 10 goals and 11 assists. Sophomore midfielder Rhamel Bratton also added three goals for Virginia, earning his first career hat trick.

Sophomore goalie Adam Ghitelman, meanwhile, who came into the game allowing just 4.88 goals per game, had 10 saves to back up the Cavaliers’ formidable defensive unit, which is led by senior Matt Kelly, junior Ryan Nizolek and junior Ken Clausen. Like Stony Brook, the Mountaineers may have trouble putting up points against the veteran Virginia defense, as four of their five starters on attack are freshmen. Underclassmen occupy 29 of the team’s 43 roster spots, and five of the projected 10 starters are freshmen. Although graduate student Brendan Flanagan and juniors Russell Moncure and Matt Nealis are the foundation of an experienced defense, Mount St. Mary’s is a young team coming off a 2-12 campaign last year. Tonight’s contest will serve as the Cavaliers’ home opener and starts at 7 p.m.

—compiled by Nick Eilerson