Pesky Spiders present midweek challenge

Virginia seeks third consecutive victory against Richmond before visiting Syracuse Friday night

The No. 4 Virginia women’s lacrosse team will put its flawless record and streaking offense to the test as it faces off against Richmond Wednesday at Klöckner Stadium.

The Cavaliers (2-0, 1-0 ACC) have had an impressive start to their season, outscoring opponents 38-11 and scoring 19 goals in each of their first two games. Senior midfielder Ashley McCulloch currently leads the attack with nine goals and seven assists.

“She has been lighting it up behind the cage and taking it in front,” senior midfielder Blair Weymouth said. “She is seeing the field so well and has just been able to make other people play better.”

McCulloch was named ACC Player of the Week for her performances against Virginia Tech and Loyola. She recorded a career high with five goals against Loyola and currently leads the ACC in points per game with eight.

Although McCulloch is one of Virginia’s four preseason All-Americans who have helped cement the team’s No. 4 national ranking, collective effort is what has allowed Virginia to get off to one of its best overall starts in several years. Every person on the team has seen playing time and contributed, with 12 Cavaliers already having notched goals this season.

“We have rotated everyone onto the field at different points so far and the intensity level stays the same,” Virginia coach Julie Myers said. “We haven’t played down to an opponent and we haven’t really changed how we have played based on the personnel that is in. Everyone is able to chip in and contribute on game day.”

In particular, freshmen midfielders Josie Owen and Julie Gardner have complemented McCulloch’s play. The freshman duo has contributed eight goals this season and looks to be a staple of the Cavalier attack during the next four years.

Though Virginia is off to a hot start, it cannot underestimate Richmond (0-3). The Cavaliers won the teams’ last two meetings, but the Spiders defeated Virginia 8-7 in 2006, snapping a 21-match streak — dating back to 1984 — of Virginia victories against Richmond.

“Every year we have played it has been an intense in-state rivalry because they can catch you off guard,” Weymouth said. “In-state competition is always nice.”

Additionally, though the Spiders have yet to win a match this season, each loss has been to an ACC powerhouse; opponents Maryland, Duke and North Carolina are all ranked in the top 10 in the country. Richmond was able to hang tough Friday against No. 2 Duke; the score stood at 2-2 at halftime and the Spiders only faced a slim 11-7 deficit late in the second half before the Blue Devils scored the next two goals en route to a 14-9 victory.

The Spiders are led by their own offensive stud, senior attack Allison Furstenburg. The transfer from Syracuse was selected second-team All-Atlantic 10 last season and was named Atlantic 10 Player of the Week for her eight combined goals against Duke and North Carolina this past weekend.

The Cavaliers will try not to look ahead to their Friday match up against Big East juggernaut No. 3 Syracuse and instead must focus on handling business tonight against Richmond.

“We have a big week ahead of us,” Myers said.