The state-us quo

Limiting out-of-state students would hurt the University

IF YOU’RE an out-of-state student at the University, chances are that when you first arrived on Grounds you felt at least a tinge overwhelmed by the sheer number of students from Virginia. Of course, it wasn’t a surprise: the University is a public institution with a duty to serve the state that funds it, and out-of-state students come in knowing that they’ll be outnumbered. But a clause in the Virginia House Budget Bill, HB 2325, would establish an enrollment policy at Virginia universities that would require at least 70 percent of incoming classes to hail from within the state’s borders. HB 2325 failed in the senate on February 10, but it is just one in a series of bills that the state of Virginia has attempted to pass over a number of years. These bills are always contentious, but they don’t pass because Virginia’s public universities need not just the revenue but also the diversity that out-of-state students bring.

Naturally, Virginia residents expect that their children will have the opportunity to attend any of Virginia’s prestigious public institutions. After all, Virginia taxpayer dollars make up a certain percentage of the University’s funding each year, and Virginia residents have the right of access to inexpensive, nearby public institutions of higher learning. But as Dean of Undergraduate Admissions Greg Roberts noted, the University of Virginia is a global research and educational institution that receives far more qualified applicants each year than it can possibly admit. “As a university, we strongly resist any quotas or mandates on the composition of our student body because our admissions process is based on a holistic, subjective, and complete review of each student’s application,” he stated.  Mandating the percentage ratio of in-state to out-of-state students at public universities will likely cause more harm than good to both the universities and the students attending them.

Firstly, choosing to attend a university is a decision that should be beneficial for both the student and the institution. This can be problematic, as universities benefit when students can pay full tuition costs, and students benefit by choosing the cheapest option. Out-of-state tuition at the University, which is more than double in-state tuition, makes up a significant percentage of the University’s funds. The truth is that the out-of-state to in-state ratio at the University isn’t too far off from 70 percent; in fact, according to University officials, 69.3 percent of the University’s current student body hails from somewhere in Virginia. Even so, raising the percentage of in-state students from its current percentage to a full 70 percent would cost the University $1.9 million each year, according to estimates from the Roanoke Times. Dean Roberts acknowledged the fiscal impact of the state-mandated quota, citing economic troubles as the main reason the bills continually fail and mentioning that expensive out-of-state tuition becomes more crucial as the state of Virginia systematically removes university funding in the struggling economy. The bill may award Virginia residents slightly easier access to Virginia’s elite universities, but in doing so it erodes the quality of the very prize these students seek by lowering admission standards and denying the University crucial funding.

As an out-of-state student myself, hailing from sunny Southern California, crossing the country to attend the University of Virginia was a decision that broadened my horizons and bettered me as a person. The University is constantly championing the virtues of diversity, but diversity means a lot more than a brochure with four students of different ethnicities on the cover. Ethnic diversity is important, but equally important are diversity of ideas, beliefs, upbringings and opinions. Geographic diversity introduces students to unique and different lifestyles. Coming to Virginia, I brought with me my California upbringing: delicious In-n-Out Burgers, seeing celebrities in CVS, how to drive on 16-lane freeways, saying “the” before naming the number of a route (“the 210” versus simply “29”). My Virginia friends introduced me to the amazing tradition known as Beach Week, told me what Governor’s School was, served me sweet tea and taught me when it’s appropriate to wear a sundress (answer: always). And I made friends not just from all areas of Virginia, but from places as diverse as Georgia, Wyoming, New York, and South Africa. Each of these people introduced me to a unique perspective that was a combined product of their family life, personal experience, and hometown influence. That’s not to suggest that there isn’t variance among in-state students — of course there is, some of it quite significant — but attending the University is a truly global experience, and that should only be encouraged.

The relationship between the University and out-of-state students is mutually beneficial. Out-of-state tuition provides valuable monetary support for the University, and the students themselves add geographic diversity to the student body while having the privilege of attending a prestigious, well-rounded university. Plus, high out-of-state enrollment increases the University’s national visibility as students take their school pride home to far-away states and countries and adds to the University’s worldwide appeal but raising awareness of the school’s prestige in areas geographically far from Virginia. Like all public institutions, the University has a duty to serve in-state students, but it also does a remarkable job of maintaining diversity in student attitudes and backgrounds. Bills like HB 2325 would hinder the University’s ability to remain a truly global research university. “Of course Virginians are the heart of this university,” Dean Roberts said, “but we believe that a diverse environment is best for everyone.”

The University is an incredible institution that attracts students not just from all across Virginia, but from all across the world. The beauty, history, and tradition of this prestigious university is an incredible educational experience not just for Virginia residents, but for students from around the globe. In the end, even if HB 2325 had passed, it probably wouldn’t have done too much to change the make-up of the student body at the University. Even so, it sends the wrong message to out-of-state hopefuls. The University can still have the cream of Virginia’s student crop, but it should do so while continuing to encourage a diversity of student backgrounds and hometowns. The high out-of-state student percentage not only enriches the University fiscally, it enriches the experience of the students who attend this university looking for a truly global education.

Michelle Lamont is a Cavalier Daily Associate Editor. She can be reached at m.lamont@cavalierdaily.com.