Streaking Cavs will try to

Virginia must hold Georgia Tech

Virginia wide receiver Kris Burd (18).  The #3 ranked University of Southern California Trojans defeated the University of Virginia Cavaliers 52-7 at Scott Stadium in Charlottesville, VA on August 30, 2008.
Virginia wide receiver Kris Burd (18). The #3 ranked University of Southern California Trojans defeated the University of Virginia Cavaliers 52-7 at Scott Stadium in Charlottesville, VA on August 30, 2008.

Hoping to remain atop the ACC Coastal Division Standings, the Cavaliers will work to avoid the sting of the Yellow Jackets' option running attack Saturday as they host No. 12 Georgia Tech at home.

The Yellow Jackets (6-1, 4-1 ACC) enter Saturday's matchup highly regarded courtesy of a potent offense that has averaged 32.4 points and 417.1 total yards per game.

"You could make a pretty strong argument that they are the hottest team in the ACC," Virginia coach Al Groh said.

The Yellow Jackets attribute their offensive success to a triple option offense, which includes a heavy dose of running plays featuring junior quarterback Josh Nesbitt and 2008 ACC Player of the Year junior running back Jonathan Dwyer. Despite not putting up as impressive numbers as last year, Dwyer has still managed to average 6.0 yards per carry.

To complement its running threat, Georgia Tech also has increased its passing attack's efficiency out of the option this season. Nesbitt has raised his overall level of play since last season, boasting a 150.4 passer efficiency rating and throwing only three interceptions thus far.

"They've been really smart in what they've done with their offense," Groh said. "They're certainly bright enough not to diminish his effectiveness in the offense. What has increased is the overall contribution and effectiveness of the quarterback."

At practice this week, the No. 21 Virginia defense stressed the importance of preparing for both the run and the pass whenever Georgia Tech has the ball.

"It looks like they might have a couple more pass plays out of the option to try to get the ball deep down field and gain 40 to 50 yards a play," senior linebacker and captain Denzel Burrell said. "So we definitely have to be alert on all aspects: up front, secondary, everything."

Virginia's defense, however, will be missing one of its key players, sophomore defensive end Matt Conrath, who will be sitting out Saturday's game, according to a Virginia injury report released last night. Conrath was named ACC Player of the Week following Virginia's win against North Carolina and his absence could potentially hurt the Cavaliers' defense.

On the offensive side of the ball, therefore, the Cavaliers (3-3, 2-0 ACC) will need a strong showing to upset their ranked conference rival for the third year in a row. Last season, Virginia defeated then-No. 21 Georgia Tech 24-17 in the tough away environment of Bobby Dodd Stadium.

Senior running back Mikell Simpson, who missed last week's game because of a neck injury he suffered against Indiana will return for Saturday's matchup. Because of Simpson's lingering injuries, senior fullback Rashawn Jackson is expected to be a second option in the backfield for the Cavaliers.

Against Maryland last Saturday, Jackson successfully ran the ball in place of Simpson a career-high 19 times for 90 yards and one touchdown.

Jackson's "role going into the season was probably as clearly defined as it has been," Groh said. "A lot of that is Rashawn defining that role for us through his performance. Like through the course of the game the other night and then as we went through those final five or six minutes, it was very apparent that he had that "gimme the ball" attitude. This guy wants the ball. He wants the ball and he wants to win the game by running the ball - so give it to the guy who wants the ball."

Senior quarterback Jameel Sewell - who, like Simpson, could prove vital to the Cavaliers' chance of pulling an upset against the Yellow Jackets - also is listed as probable for Saturday's game, according to the injury report.