Vertical Horizon

After spending 4 years away, D.C. pop-rockers return in style

After a four-year hiatus during which many fans thought a breakup was imminent, Vertical Horizon returns in 2009 with a new record, Burning the Days. Vertical Horizon is most famous for its smash single "Everything You Want," which became one of the most played songs of 2000.

The element that stands out on its latest record is lead singer Matt Scannell's immense talent as a lyricist. The first cut on the album, "All Is Said and Done," is a great example. Scannell has said during interviews that the song deals mainly with someone he knew who felt like he had to handle everything himself and would never let things unfold on their own. This is especially heard in the chorus, "Are you tired of holding up the sky / And teaching birds to fly? / You've done it all your life."

Another song with a great lyrical idea is "Save Me From Myself," the album's first single. The main character in the song reflects on how hard he can be on himself, while treating others with kindness and compassion.

The idea of one person saving another and helping him move on from hard times is a frequent theme of the album. In "Welcome to the Bottom," the singer addresses an unfaithful spouse or parent, saying, "Welcome home / It's been awhile / We've been expecting you / You tried to deny your family / But we came through so / Welcome to the bottom."

Scannell's songs traditionally have been about darker times in his life, so I was somewhat surprised to hear "The Lucky One," among other positive tunes, on the album. Upon listening to the song, however, it seems that Scannell is not yet able to differentiate them much from his darker songs. Even "Lucky One" has a familiar dark and contemplative quality to it.

But Scannell's lyrics and vocals do not always make the songs interesting, thus turning attention to the instrumentals. Unfortunately, the album's biggest weakness is the inconsistency of these parts. Occasionally, the instrumentals are very interesting and fit the lyrics well, such as when they echo the sense of urgency of "Middle Ground." But for a long stretch in the middle of the album, the instruments feel lifeless and mildly pedestrian.

Moreover, the band's guitarist, Keith Kane - who would often co-write and sing a song or two on the group's previous records (even more on its independent-label releases) - regrettably has seen his role diminish, as his voice seems mostly absent from the songwriting and even the backing vocals. If you want to know why I miss him so much, listen to "The Unchosen One" or "Japan" from past albums.

Burning the Days features guest appearances from Richard Marx, who plays the piano skillfully on "Here." Neil Peart, of the prominent progressive rock band Rush, plays the drums on "Save Me From Myself," "Welcome To the Bottom" and "Even Now," the third of which he co-wrote with Scannell.

Overall, the record is solid, if unspectacular, and somewhat feels like a return to the measured, minimalist style the band had on its first three independent records while still retaining some of that major-label polish. Those looking for a hard-hitting song like "Everything You Want" will probably be disappointed, but if one listens to the record with an open mind, one undoubtedly will find many things to like.