City Council discusses Shamrock traffic issues

City resident John Shepherd raises concerns about safety at Shamrock Road rail crossing

Thanks mostly to Charlottesville resident John Shepherd, one possible road-related problem may have finally reached its crossing.

Concerned about safety issues related to planned construction next year, Shepherd attended the City Council meeting yesterday night to alert Council members of what he thinks is a dangerous situation created for pedestrians at the railroad crossing on Shamrock Road.

Shepherd explained that the inconveniences for pedestrians in this area will be intensified when the Jefferson Park Avenue bridge closes in the spring, forcing traffic to take an alternate route, which Shepherd believes will be Shamrock. The absence of sidewalks, combined with the winding nature of Shamrock Road between JPA and Thomas Road, creates a hazard for traffic, pedestrian access and parking, Shepherd said.

In discussing the issue at length, Mayor Dave Norris agreed with Shepherd.

"It is a safety issue for those who are walking or who are pushing a stroller," Norris said. "There is no way to cross that area without sharing it with cars."

Shepherd suggested several solutions, such as widening the road where it crosses the rails to include designated pedestrian walkways as well as adding streetlights to the area. Other potential solutions could include active enforcement of parking regulation and more signs to warn pedestrians and vehicles of the increased traffic, he said, asking Charlottesville officials to "initiate baseline traffic studies of Shamrock near the railroad" both now and after the JPA bridge is closed.

Councilman David Brown, like Norris, said he believed Shepherd's demand for reform of Shamrock Road pedestrian access was an important issue for Council to consider soon, especially when the JPA bridge cannot be used. He added that he would like to look more closely at the issues surrounding the closing of the bridge, such as how pedestrians and drivers will know the proper pathways.

Shepherd also asked the City and other planning agencies to present proposed remedies at a neighborhood meeting to be held as early as December and no later than January 2010.

The other council members agreed that the area near Shamrock Road needs safety improvements.

"We expect the City Council to make immediate action" to improve the section of Shamrock near the railroad crossing, Shepherd said.