IFC elects six committee chairmen

Governing board makes changes to internal structure for 2010-11 in hopes of improving effectiveness

The Inter-Fraternity Council elected six new chairmen yesterday night to finalize the organizations's 2010-11 governing board.

Outgoing President Charles Gamper said he believes the newly elected officials are well-prepared for the challenge of working within a new structure during the upcoming year.

"A lot of positions of the past have been merged," Gamper said. "Although the governing board itself has decreased in number, we created new committees under each position that will increase the number of people involved in the governing process and boost its effectiveness."

These changes include the consolidation of the inter-Greek relations position and the diversity outreach position. Faculty relations and alumni relations positions have merged, as well, and the same holds true for the membership education and scholarship chairmanships. The IFC removed its publications position and added the sustainability position, while the community service and public relations spokesman positions remained untouched.

The IFC board governs 28 fraternities and about 1,500 students at the University. Many of the candidates who spoke at the election espoused the need for progress and effectiveness within the IFC community. Candidates proposed to improve the quality of Fraternal Organization Agreement programs and increase communication within the Greek system and among alumni, faculty and University and Charlottesville communities.

IFC members ultimately chose chairmen Dominic Rinaldi for membership education and scholarship, Kayu Mugai for community service, Sam Davies for alumni and faculty relations, Dane Ferr