Hokies swept in series

The Virginia softball team swept in-state rival Virginia Tech this weekend, leaving the Cavaliers (18-13, 5-0 ACC) undefeated in ACC play and with its first series win against the Hokies (13-20, 2-4 ACC) since 2005.

Freshman pitcher Melanie Mitchell greatly contributed to Virginia's success, as she took the circle and the win in each stage of the three-game set.

The first contest was all Virginia, as the team won 5-0. Mitchell herself shut out the Hokies by striking out 11 of their batters. The Cavalier offense then exploded in the top of the fourth, when all five of the team's runs were scored. Freshman second basemen Alex Skinkis headed the charge with two hits, a run and a stolen base.

The second game was more of a nail-biter, as the Cavaliers managed to triumph only by a score of 4-3. Virginia jumped on the Hokies early on, securing a four-point lead after just one inning, but Tech gradually chipped away at this advantage, all the way up until Mitchell stranded two Hokies batters in the seventh and finished with another complete game win.

In Sunday's matin